PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressures on the track?

CodingParadox
11-16-2005, 04:38 AM
Anyone got any good suggestions for tire pressures to run for a track day? I'm running 215/40/17 Toyo T1-R tires.

sloceli
11-16-2005, 07:01 AM
Either what it says in the glove box or take the car to a large parking lot and try to lay some rubber down in a straight line. If there is more rubber on the outer edged of the skids then put some air in. If there is more in the middle then let some out. Try to get it as even as you can. The more rubber in contact with the ground the better the traction.

CodingParadox
11-16-2005, 07:03 AM
It's kinda hard to lay down rubber with an alltrac, even a heavily modded one, on the kind of rubber I'll be sporting. ;-)

I'm just looking for actual track experience to see what people have come up with. I'll have a pyrometer and chalk marks and adjust appropriately, but I'm looking for a good initial cold setting.

The manual is only good for stock-ish wheels/tires. I'll be sporting 235/40/17s, which is nothing like stock.

roman
11-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Keep in mind that the T1-R sidewalls are pretty soft compared to other performance tires. I would start off at 31psi cold and then adjust accordingly from there. From what I've seen if you go higher than that you'll start to lose some grip, and if you go lower then you may get some significant shoulder wear. Of course, outside temp and track conditions will skew the results so yeah, start off with 31 and then play with the pressure from there.

CodingParadox
11-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Hey, useful knowledge. Woo! :)

Thanks! Will start at 31 cold and go from there. The main thing I'm trying to do is minimize chunking, since they're BRAND new (week old) full tread T1-Rs, and I'll destroy them if I get too under pressure. :)

roman
11-16-2005, 07:49 AM
I don't think you'll chunk them but the Toyos are pretty notorious for feathering. At least the T1-S are, not sure how much better the T1-R are when it comes to feathering.

TwistedImage92
11-19-2005, 05:49 PM
amazing how long it takes for an answer... lol

roman
11-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Out of all the users on the forum here I think only 2 or 3 actually go to the track.

Doctor Jinxed
11-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Out of all the users on the forum here I think only 2 or 3 actually go to the track.
:hehe: a lot of us would just embarass ourselves. At least on a drag track, anyway. :(

Adrian Avgerinos
11-19-2005, 11:26 PM
It's kinda hard to lay down rubber with an alltrac, even a heavily modded one, on the kind of rubber I'll be sporting. ;-)

I'm just looking for actual track experience to see what people have come up with. I'll have a pyrometer and chalk marks and adjust appropriately, but I'm looking for a good initial cold setting.

The manual is only good for stock-ish wheels/tires. I'll be sporting 235/40/17s, which is nothing like stock.

You haven't told us what kind of track. Drag strip or do you actually mean a roadcourse? At the last open track event, I ran mine mine at like 31/26 (cold) and had some pretty even wear all the way around.

Then again, my car is totally different than yours and I was runnning 215/50/15 tires.