PDA

View Full Version : Legitimate differences between ST205 ECUS

CelicaLaxer11
12-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Is there a programming difference between the Standard ST205 and Group A ST205 ECUs?

I have both and the daughter cards inside the ECUs are infact different part numbers with different ASICs. I posed the same question over at alltrac.net and those peoples seem slow to post or just don't have an answer :nono:

ChrisD
12-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Well, neither makes any more power than the other, nor are any extra features controlled. So they might be different parts, there might be secret functions locked away for only the TTE guys to use. Hard to say. For the average person, it doesn't matter which one you use.

CelicaLaxer11
12-23-2004, 04:24 PM
I have seen multiple instances of the Group A being quoted as having more HP. And the engines are functionally the same so more HP has to come from the ECU

ChrisD
12-23-2004, 04:34 PM
You are probably looking at differences between JDM and non-JDM cars. The ECU's are definitely more aggressive on the JDM counterparts.

CelicaLaxer11
12-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Yes i know there are JDM advantages but what I am asking is that if anyone has legitimate knoweldge other than here-say programming differences between the two computers.. i mean i can dump the roms of these ASICs at some point I was just curios to know if anyone knows for a fact?

Mike431635
12-23-2004, 08:31 PM
No idea whatsoever, but if you could find out by 'dumping the roms' that would be some good information. I don't know what you mean by 'dumping the roms', but it sounds cool :D

ChrisD
12-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Well, you can take my word for it, or not. Up to you. I am saying that you will see zero net benefit from switching the roms from either computer.

What are you trying to do exactly?

Lagos
12-24-2004, 12:55 AM
its a shame that we dont have computer programer nerds owning turbo celicas. they could probably hack the ecu in a weekend!

CelicaLaxer11
12-24-2004, 05:00 AM
I'm trying to determine the differences between the ECUs. If they were identicle they would have the same part numbers stamped on the ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuts). Dumping the roms would mean download the program from the ASIC so you could read what its doing... not terribly difficult... more than a weekends worth of work... I'll see what i can do.