PDA

View Full Version : notchy gear change on st182 1992

SG1
11-13-2005, 03:35 PM
hi guys iv owned my st182 now for about 18 months always loved these cars but one thing that is bugging me is the notchy gear change between 1st 2nd and 3rd.i recently changed the clutch and flywheel after seeking some good advice from you guys [ because the car had a judder on the clutch ]all that is fine now but the notchy gear change has come back.everybody i speak to doesnt seem to think its worth doing the syncro rings because there saying it could still be notchy after the work has been done. i wish i had done the rings when i had the box out of the car.all that is history now what i am looking for is advice on weather to get the syncro rings done or replace the box with something from a newer celica maybe a gen 6 can anybody help me here because its really is pi----g me off because i feel it should be a lot smoother.cheers guys keep up the good work [ sg1 ]

Luis C
11-13-2005, 07:29 PM
My 3rd gear syncro is FUBAR and I'm thinking of S54 box from a ST202, I know ours uses the S52 (Euro/Jap/ General) and the Yanks use the S53 so I gues the S54 should work without much hassle and luckly Toyota would have fixed the crummy syncro problem by then

SG1
11-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Are You Sure That The S54 Box Will Go In With No Problems And Do U Know If The Gears Ratios Match What We Would Be Taking Out.is This Syncro Problem Fixable Or Is What People Are Saying About The Fact It May Not Be Much Better If The Rings Where Changed True.cheers [ Sg1 ]

KoreanJoey
11-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Rear ratios are different, no doubt, 60MPH (about) in my S54 was almost 3K in 5th... While in the S53 I think it's like 2500.

SG1
11-14-2005, 06:27 PM
so what were saying is that the car is going to drive / pull away in a slightly different manner. do we know if this different tranny has better syncros because the last i want is to get a tranny from a breakers and have the same problems , i just want to get a better smoother gear / shift change can u please tell me your experiences with this - cheers and thanks [ sg1 ]

KoreanJoey
11-14-2005, 06:30 PM
I'd look for an S54 from either a ST202 Celica or ST195 Carina E GTi (that's the tranny I had, faulty viscous but otherwise solid). Nice thing about the S54 is you can also get it w/ viscous LSD. The weak brass synchros from the S53 was redesigned in the S54 so you shouldn't have a problem w/ the gearbox.

SG1
11-14-2005, 07:57 PM
hey no problem that sounds good,just one thing i would like to now is the drivability of the car much different with the ratios being different.plus the lsd and does it bolt straight up th the block with the stock flywheel and clutch from the st182,[ because iv just replaced the flywheel and clutch in my celica. once again thanks for the advice [ sg1 ]

AJz
11-14-2005, 08:16 PM
i have a ST182 myself, already on my second S53 box and is starting to crunch again, mainly going into 3rd for some reason, and if you are raping it from 3rd to 2nd it will crunch, just takes a bit gettin used to wat revs and wat speed to change at, it does get annoying tho.

SG1
11-14-2005, 08:43 PM
ye it pissy me off because i was going to do the syncros when i had the box out to do the clutch and everybody was saying [oh leave em it wont make that big of diffrence] i know now i should have gone with my gutt feeling but thinking about it is it a design fault with the syncros or is it down to wear and tear,because im just not sure what to do. if its possible to put the s54 box in am i better doing that or spending the money haveing the syncros done.one thing i would need to know is does the s54 box allow me to use my original driveshafts and clutch - can you help me with this one

Luis C
11-14-2005, 10:50 PM
S52 and S53 boxes pretty much suck. They all had the bad syncro problem. I'm not sure if the replacement syncros you would get at the Toy dealer would be the redesigned ones or the still shitty ones.

Last time I asked for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear syncros the price was much higher than that for a used box, add to that what you would pay for labor since this is not a DIY job.

And yes, 3rd gear syncro is almost dead, I have to treat it right if I dont want to put down some more money for repairs