PDA

View Full Version : condition of the turbo (sorry for being a noob)

ummmx2
12-23-2004, 01:59 AM
hi guys..sorry for being a noob, but im only here to learn. so i just want to know the condition of this turbo. i am going to buy an exhaust manifold, dp, cat, and maybe this turbo. i just want to know the condition of this turbo, and how i can tell the condition of turbos (if they need a rebuild, etc.) for the future. and a fair price that should be offered. thanks all. http://www.dropforce.com/mr2/forsale/ct26/

ummmx2
12-23-2004, 02:03 AM
also forgot to mention, that he says it has no shaft play

nuclearhappines
12-23-2004, 04:26 AM
things i notice, that may or may not be an issue

build up on the turbine housing is white, not black... guy was burning oil ?

there is black build up on the outside of the turbo ... old exhaust manifold leak? oil leakage ?

blades look ok
turbo outlet doesn't look oily ... so yeah maybe his car was burning oil but it wasn't the turbo seals...

how many miles ?

Trance4c
12-23-2004, 04:45 AM
things i notice, that may or may not be an issue

build up on the turbine housing is white, not black... guy was burning oil ?

there is black build up on the outside of the turbo ... old exhaust manifold leak? oil leakage ?

blades look ok
turbo outlet doesn't look oily ... so yeah maybe his car was burning oil but it wasn't the turbo seals...

how many miles ?

I just don't like all the oil I see all over where the oil feed / return are on the turbo.. what do you think nuke? I think this turbo is questionable.. but could be 'ok'.. all in all, not like I'd spend the money for it.

Sean
12-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Depends what your paying for it, oil on the outside, and around the oil feed speaks nothing of the turbo. Measurements of axial play in both directions of the inducer and the exducer speaks volumes. White around the wastegate and in the turbine housing is not always indictative of burning oil, think spark plugs. What happens to really hot things, they discolor, the color is perfectly normal.

What is he asking for it, worse case scenario, it needs a rebuild, which should reflect within the price.

ummmx2
12-23-2004, 06:04 AM
hes asking 120 shipped. theres 65k miles on it, and the guy says its been cleaned up since those pics were taken.

nuclearhappines
12-23-2004, 06:09 AM
i'm always weary of cleaned up parts... is he hiding something ?

yeah alot of oil clay... but that doesn't say anything... look at the outlet ... it looks dry...

dunno.... it's tough to say...you need to see it in your hands and spin it... otherwise you're going off of the seller's reputation

-n

Fox-N-It
12-23-2004, 09:23 AM
If it has little shaft play both in and out and up and down chances are its ok. The white on the exhaust looks like it was running lean and had very retarded ignition. I looked for cracks in the exhaust housing but didnt see any, though its only a photo. For $120 it doesnt sound like too bad of deal.

ummmx2
12-23-2004, 11:41 PM
thanx guys. so what should i be looking for when looking at turbos? cracks? seals stuff like that? (dont even know what bad seals look like)

Trance4c
12-23-2004, 11:50 PM
thanx guys. so what should i be looking for when looking at turbos? cracks? seals stuff like that? (dont even know what bad seals look like)

the intake side.. put your fingers on the shaft bolt and see if it moves around a lot.. it can have a small bit of play.. the smallest of bits, you'll understand, that if you undestand to much, is bad lol. (hopefully that makes sense) Just to much movement, the seals are probably toast.. bearings might be alright, but I wouldn't bet on it. If it moves, seals are toast.. which means oil might be burning out the exhaust side, it might also mean that if the bearings are damaged.. it will cost more to get fixed. Basically.. shaft play.. bad.

The only other things i can say.. is make sure it spins nicely.. there might not have been oil in it for awhile, I like to let some soak in it before I install it.

I wouldn't worry to much about exhaust housing cracking or compressor (intake) side having any cracks.. just not likely to happen unless it was heated up EXCESSIVELY! and thats a lot.. even for a blown turbo to make enough heat. so.. not very likely.

As for the fins of the turbo.. they can't be jacked up. Make sure the leading edge is correct, straight, smooth and not damaged. No missing pieces.. etc.

From a visual inspection, thats about all you can do. :confused: dunno what to tell ya, this one is just a gamble and no one can tell ya, you could be very lucky if you take a chance.. maybe not haha.

ummmx2
12-24-2004, 03:29 AM
thanx for all the info guys