PDA

View Full Version : Magnet removal

4thgenceli
11-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Ok.. First post in W&W yay!.

I'm sure everyone is familar with those SUPPORT OUR TROOPS ribbons(I buy one every time I fillup w/ gas). I had one on teh hood of Celibaby, right above the TOYOTA logo in the grill. Well.. I decided to remove it few nights ago to clean the car(from the layers of dust on it, buying a car cover tonight). It broke.. I have about 2 quarter sized spots of magnet STUCK on the car. I tried to remove w/ a knife, but stopped because it was about to dig into paint. There's also a nice YELLOW design now on the hood of the ribbon(I don't know why, the ribbon was red/white/blue.)

Any suggestions to get this off w/o really :owned: the paint? Yes I'm gonna repaint and tear up the hood to put in a scoop, but still.. She's my girl..

Verde97
11-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Sounds like it melted or something. It seems strange to me that a magnet will not come off of the car. I would maybe try a hot air dryer and a piece of fishing line to remove it...as far as the yellow design, a paint cleaner might possibly get that off...I'm not sure how much damage occurred from that, though.

blck87gtconv
11-10-2005, 10:35 PM
man, you're a tool of the system for buying that thing. Support your troops by giving someone else money!.. :woot:

Anywho, all flack aside, your best bet, as stated, would be a hair dryer and fishing line.. you might try to get some goo-gone saturated in there too. It won't hurt your paint, but be sure you clean it up right afterwards.

4thgenceli
11-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Only reason I buy them is for my Brother Sargent Lewis currently in Iraq.(think he's marine sargent, not 100% sure, but he's boss of a troop).

blck87gtconv
11-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Only reason I buy them is for my Brother Sargent Lewis currently in Iraq.(think he's marine sargent, not 100% sure, but he's boss of a troop).
:hehe: I figured you knew I was just giving you a hard time.

Mikey
11-11-2005, 06:17 AM
I'm sure everyone is familar with those SUPPORT OUR TROOPS ribbons(I buy one every time I fillup w/ gas).
I'm wondering if you had your whole car filled up with those ribbons. :laugh:

alltracman78
11-11-2005, 09:06 AM

You're not sure if he's a Marine?
Or if he's a sergeant?
What does he do?

4thgenceli
11-11-2005, 04:24 PM
I know he's in the Marines, but I'm not sure of his rank. He leads a troop of about 10 Marines.

No, my car wasn't full of them, they always seemed to either get stolen or blow off about 1 day before it was due for a fillup.

schmooot
11-11-2005, 07:20 PM
pics or ban

4thgenceli
11-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Pics of what?

The stuck magnet on the car?

Refyused
11-22-2005, 12:15 PM
I highly recommend using a heat gun and a plastic razor blade - PLASTIC, so it won't harm your paint. You can use a real one IF you've got a stable hand and a lot of experience doing this sort of thing ;)

If that doesn't work, ditch the heat gun and get yourself some General Purpose Adhesive Remover. It comes in a red & white rectangular can, or an aeresol spray bottle. Use that and a plastic razor blade. You could try fishing line - I've never tried that method, but it sounds to me like it'd make a lot of mess in that you can press it down to the paint, it'd skim the top and miss a lot - I don't know that for sure, it just doesn't sound completely useful.

Just be patient, it'll take awhile to get a melted magnet off. Some bumper stickers are just as bad when they've been on the car for ages and melted to the paint. THAT is not a fun thing to remove.