PDA

View Full Version : t vsv

xeril
12-22-2004, 05:33 PM
soo, if this goes bad, could it possibly cause your car to idle like shit?

ChrisD
12-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Nope. Only affects boost.

galcrazi
12-22-2004, 09:03 PM
you know.... itd be nice if somebody did a write up on the vsv and its properties. explain how it ties into the wastegate and all. Be nice to have a "newby tech thread" to cover alot of the basics. im too lazy to type all that out tho... thats me tho... take what you can and give nothing back ;)

Sean
12-22-2004, 10:07 PM
It really is very simple! The wastegate actuator sits connected to the turbo, it contains a diaphragm, an actuator rod, and the wastegate door itself. A top of the wastegate there are two inlets, one coming from the turbo charger (this one is usually interrupted and manipulated via a boost controller) and one from the Variable Switching Valve. The componets of the VSV lie underneath the intake manifold, and it takes directions from the ECU. There is a metal/rubber hose that runs along the head, and connects up to the wastegate actuator.

The ECU has the ability to adjust the boost level given certain parameters. This information is taken from the Turbo Pressor sensor, the Air Intake Temperature sensor, the Coolant Temp. sensor, and i think thats it. If the coolant temp is to low, only low boost is allowed, if the air coming in is to hot or too cold, low boost only (the low temp is around 32 degrees, and the high temp im not too sure).

For some reason i also remember that it limits the boost in 1st and 2nd gear, any truth to this and how does it know what gear your in? Most people disable the VSV when installing a boost controller, because the two conflict with eachother at times, and there is some confusion from the user.

Luni
12-22-2004, 10:39 PM
It is written.

Go here: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105

galcrazi
12-23-2004, 12:37 PM
woohoo... glad i didnt have to do it. A++ Sean