PDA

View Full Version : 3sge intake manifold..

spoolin_gt
12-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Has anyone used a 3sge intake manifold with their 3sgte???The intake manifold is obviously bigger and I think that it would be a pretty good upgrade since the 3sgte I.M. is tiny....I'm thinking of doing this for winter since I have no work for the mean time...What about a 5sfe I.m?..has anyone ever used that???just want to get some advice from people that has done it....I wanna know how much gain they got from it...the pros..the cons....thanks in advance...

Gian

Mike431635
12-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Well, it would definitely help out in regards to the lean condition on cylinder #3. The only problem is, the 3SGE manifolds are a pretty rare find unless you buy the whole motor. JGS turbocharged a 3SGE so he has that manifold on his car. Maybe he can help out here :)

Snafu
12-22-2004, 04:36 PM
I'd love to get rid of that third cylinder dog leg. Intercooler piping would be quite a bit easier as well, a lot cleaner. That seems like a really good idea. Of course you'd have tiny problems to work out such as throttle linkage, but that shouldn't be too hard.

What about throttle body sizing? Actual volume of the manifold?

JGS3SGE
12-22-2004, 05:28 PM
My intake manifold is from a JDM 2nd gen 3SGE (way different from what people call a 2nd gen 3SGTE). Basically is has smaller ports and NO tvis.
An 88 GT intake would be your best bet. goto www.car-parts.com , easy find :)

Snafu
12-22-2004, 05:49 PM
That site works well. There's lik 30 in my area ranging from 50-150 bucks. Sweet shit.

spoolin_gt
12-22-2004, 06:01 PM
i have a 3sge motor from a 88 gts....so that's not a problem....im planning on taking out the butterflies on the 3sge manifold....

gs3sge...you have any pics of your setup???

YangS
12-22-2004, 06:01 PM
How big are the 3sge intake manifolds for what year? I have a st215 intake manifold and I dont know how big it is compare to the 3sge, all I know my 5sfe intake manifold is smaller then the st215.

Are all the 3sgte intake manifolds the same size?

nuclearhappines
12-22-2004, 06:03 PM
5sfe/3sfe have different intake ports... they don't swap parts over with the G head intake side otherwise i would've tried TVIS on my 5sfe when i lost alot of torque with a pacesetter header.

-nuke

ChrisD
12-22-2004, 06:34 PM
No one has tested the actual volume of the 3SGE manifold that I know of. The big thing is that even the 3SGTE manifold is not sized very well for upgraded 3SGTE's. It has been shown that upgrades such as the RMR or Chrisk manifolds which have much larger plenums and better designs can create gains of 30-50whp or more sometimes.

Personally I dont see the 3SGE as much of an improvement, even though you get the advantage of easier fmic pipes. If going through the work to swap it over, I'd invest in one of the better custom manifolds.

spoolin_gt
12-22-2004, 06:36 PM
well..the thing is..im not really losing anything..cuz i have an 88 gts that doesn't run...and rust is eating the body...the only thing that's stopping me from doing it...is re-doing my piping again....so what i need to know is.. if it's worth my time changing the manifold..and the intercooler piping again...

mikeswickednick
12-22-2004, 06:41 PM
My intake manifold is from a JDM 2nd gen 3SGE (way different from what people call a 2nd gen 3SGTE). Basically is has smaller ports and NO tvis.
An 88 GT intake would be your best bet. goto www.car-parts.com , easy find :)

unless you disabled TVIS all 2nd gen 3sge's- and 3sgte's have tvis

ChrisD
12-22-2004, 06:43 PM
well..the thing is..im not really losing anything..cuz i have an 88 gts that doesn't run...and rust is eating the body...the only thing that's stopping me from doing it...is re-doing my piping again....so what i need to know is.. if it's worth my time changing the manifold..and the intercooler piping again...

I would say that no, it is not worth the effort.

JGS3SGE
12-23-2004, 05:01 AM
unless you disabled TVIS all 2nd gen 3sge's- and 3sgte's have tvis
Nope, sorry.. the port is shaped completely different, similar to the small port 4AGE. The only intake function is a dual plentum, a completely different concept from TVIS.

Toysport "used" to have an info on all the different verisions of the 3SG... My engine is inbetween the USDM 3SG and the 3rd gen engine. Same non-tvis intake ports as the 3rd gen but same valve train as the USDM 3SG
:D

Fenix
12-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Strange...my 2nd gen 3S-GE is JDM from a ST-183 Celica and it's intake is identical to my Euro 3S-GE.

Do you know wich car this mistery 3S-GE came from?