PDA

View Full Version : Cold... Trans not shifting..

oostixz
11-03-2005, 12:26 AM
When I dont warm up my car since it has gotten cold, the automatic trans doesnt shift into 3rd gear till it warms up. Once it is warmed up the car runs percect. What could be causeing that?

Hopefully not to expensive!

inbowns
11-03-2005, 02:01 AM
If you have a automatic tranmission that's normal. That's the way Toyota designed it. Why I don't know but it's in the owners manual.

bhsf2006
11-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Yeah its supposed do that, and it also wont shift over about 4,000 RPM is I'm not mistaken. Don't worry...when I first got mine i thought something was wrong with it too. :)

85gtsblackman
11-03-2005, 03:10 AM
thank god for manuals

angryyoungnpoor
11-03-2005, 03:33 AM
Hm.. why would they do that? Seems strange.

Disco Dan
11-03-2005, 03:38 AM
MY guess, if I had to make one, would be that since it's colder, the oil is thicker, and hence, trying to move the engine components more quickly in thicker oil will put more strain on them. BUT, this is just my thinking, based on what I know of physics in general (which isn't much) but not based on any real facts about the matter.

AllOutRed90
11-03-2005, 03:44 AM
Its a strain matter, its just safety is all. Its more of a good thing then a bad thing.

I have that same problem, but its pretty normal.

angryyoungnpoor
11-03-2005, 03:47 AM
The engine only goes as fast as the RPM's. Doesn't matter is you're going 60 or 20 mph. The engine speed could be the same depending on the gear.. Doesn't seem like much of a safety feature, as if you really wanted to go fast you'd just be pushign the engine harder which would strain the engine more than if you were in a higher gear.

My .02.

AllOutRed90
11-03-2005, 03:56 AM
It warms up really quick tho, Angryyoungandpoor have you ever driven an auto celica?

I doesnt go over 4k in the RPM's in 3rd gear, its safety, to not put alot of strain on it.

Most people let it warm up anyways, so some of us dont even notice it much.

waytooslow
11-03-2005, 04:31 AM
As a tranny guy, I can tell you that it is to let the fluid warm up. The tranny closes off a portion of the fluid, and runs on a smaller amount until it warms up. This warms the fluid alot faster, as it needs to be thin enough to fill all the passages in the valve body, and to move out of the clutch packs quickly on release. If it dont, youll get dragging shifts.

oostixz
11-04-2005, 03:06 AM
nicely done fellas. That puts alot of worry off of me. I was debating on fixing it up or not. All depended on the trans. Thanks again!!