PDA

View Full Version : Door Latch Help

VikingJZ
10-29-2005, 09:40 PM
When fixing my rust last week, I had to back into my friend's garage. His garage is smaller and hard to back into, so I had my door open and looking out. I hit the garage and now my door will not close and latch. Guys at CarQuest said its that latch that is held up by three screws. I yanked one from a salvage yard this morning, but not the rest of the door and lock arm assembly. How can I get mine out of my car without twisting metal and breaking things as I did with the salvage car? I know I'm going to have to refab shit once everything is out, but I can't get anything out of my car.

waytooslow
10-30-2005, 03:11 AM
I can give you a procedure, but first you need to clarify WHAT exactly you are trying to remove...Is is the Latch, Lock arm assy, or the entire door?

waytooslow
10-30-2005, 03:27 AM
But I'm going to take a gander and assume the door latch. The first thing you need to do is remove the interior door trim.Now, reach in the door, and the arms will wiggle out of the retaining holes. There may be a device which holds the arm in. Rotate this to the side, and remove the arm. Remove the three screws that hold the latch in. Put your new latch in. Wiggle the arms in the holes, return the retaining device, and reinstall the screws. As for removing the door, just back into your friends garage a bit quicker. Or, you could do it the right way and remove the door stop pin, and remove the hinge-to-door bolts while you have someone hold the door.