PDA

View Full Version : End of the 7th Gen?

Devilsden97
10-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Ive been looking around on the Toyota website, and im a little confused....Have they stop making the 7th Gen Celica? Are they trying to push people into buying there counter part? (Scion) Not saying the Scion Tc is bad, but I'd prefer the title of Toyota Celica over Scion Tc. No complaints on price tho, the Tc is like what 16,000 stock, and with every accesory Scion offers, sncluding TRD racing struts, TRD lowering springs, TRD exaust, ground effects, glowkit on the interior, 18" rims and other odds and ends, still under 25,000. So here are all the questions i have:

1) Has toyota stoped making the Celica?
2) What do u all think about the Tc?
3) At 160hp stock, and a supercharger that has just come out from TRD, would this car be worth buying? (what kind of potential?)

The ultimate question:

4) Celica GTS or Scion Tc? (Tc with almost all the accesories, No Supercharger, $22,650)

Playfortoday
10-27-2005, 02:59 PM
The 7th gen has been retired in N. America.

The Tc is a sad replacement fo celica enthusiasts since they killed a dynasty.

I have heard some good hings about the SC'd version, but wouldn't a new All-trac/GT-Four be the appropriate thing to do? :hehe: I am a little biased.

Celica all the way.

daklieb
10-27-2005, 04:23 PM
You know they are just gonna bring the celica back in like two or three year and people will jump on the opportunity to get one again.... its all marketing

Playfortoday
10-27-2005, 06:07 PM
You know they are just gonna bring the celica back in like two or three year and people will jump on the opportunity to get one again.... its all marketing

Wishfull thinking. For Toyota it is about what sells and the almighty dollar. The Celica was canceled, because demand was very low; and the price was too high. I can't see them bringing it back due to public outcry. They brought back the MR2 as the MR-S, and though demand was big at first, it quickly plummeted. Scion was a way to appeal to a younger buyer with a lower income. Toyota has yet to make a truly affordable and real sports car in the last 15 years.

James D.
10-27-2005, 11:12 PM
The Scion TCs engine is what i like but comparing it to the GTS is totally different in many ways. Almost bought a scion tc but what im really afterin is the handling, the celicas handling is the best; not only between the TC but also other cars out there.

The celica will always have that sporty look compared to the TC unless toyota will come up with a new TC someday giving it less weight and better look to it.

Price wise, you get what you pay for, yes the scion tc maybe cheaper but the celica has been around for generations as it is well known that the celica is one of toyotas line of sport compact car. The celica from generations to generations is built for performance and handling. You get a package you wont regret.

Celicaguy13
10-28-2005, 12:15 AM
I still would like to know why they dont make new engines with Lift? I mean hondas put vtec in little d16z6's and y8's.

cosmic_sombrero
10-28-2005, 12:39 AM
I think toyota should make a Celica hybrid.

But then, I think I should own a 97 Supra TT.

daklieb
10-28-2005, 04:09 AM
i stand by saying that they will bring it back in a marketing scheme... all car companies do it... well most

its what chevy did with the camaro they are suppose to coming back in 2007 or somewhere around there

Devilsden97
10-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Ok people, u need to check some stuff out.

www.scion.com <---pimp your Tc, mine was 22,650 with almost all the options.

Then check this out: www.trdusa.com <---the SC is under new news, or on the homepage...incase it changes

The SC for the Tc....says it pushes the Tc over 200bhp and is warrentied to boot! 5 years/ 60000 miles....not bad if i do say so, for the price that is.

In reply to handling, they have TRD struts and Lowering Springs as a stock accesory. So handling will improve if u so choose to spend the money. (my 22,650 included them)

James D.
10-28-2005, 06:16 AM
thats good news for your TC, finally the supercharger is out.

as far as for handling, the celica already handles great without any suspension mod, if you wanna go even better then go aftermarket. :cool:

BlueDragon
10-28-2005, 10:53 PM
I think youll find most people here biast over performance more then JUST celica vs scion just for the fact that a stock celica probly outhandles the upgraded scion, and when u get the upgraded one where do you go from there? it sure isnt up any places or losing any time of your time trials so as far as im concerned toyota is dead in the water for sports cars period in North America, and its FUCKING SAD!! SCREW THIS

Ricksta
10-29-2005, 02:38 AM
So here are all the questions i have:

The ultimate question:

4) Celica GTS or Scion Tc? (Tc with almost all the accesories, No Supercharger, $22,650)

here let me give you the answer to the ultimate question. ITS SECRET ANSWER NUMBER 5!!!!! get a freakin 93 alltrack or sumwhere around that year. it will blow away any of your new and modern cars....only set back is its really hard to get some good motion in the ocean goin in the front seat...the seat doesnt go back far enough...lol :laugh:

TEAMFaint
10-29-2005, 02:41 AM
There was an article posted somewhere on a news website.

The reason they got rid of the Celica in NORTH AMERICA is because of the huge competition against the Honda Civic, Dodge SX 2.0, and some other so called Nissan "sports car."

The celica generation will continue over sea's, but unfortunately for us we have to wait until 2022 to grab a 2007 Celica :(

RallyK
10-29-2005, 09:17 PM
It would be so easy to pump up the competition. I mean.. really.. how much research and trial and error would it take to make a "super car" that competes with STIs and EVOs? I think they should make an all new GT4 that is comparable with the new competitive cars. I also think that they should make a new name for themselves in Rally, Drift, Drag, etc. STis were made for rally and look how popular they are?!

Also, maybe it's just me but I thought the 7th gen was ver popular. Less demand you said? I don't know about that. I see them everywhere. Sure I see a lot of new hondas as they are the ideal commuter car for the average (not caring) citizen. But.. damn toyota made such great cars, why not take it further? grr.

cosmic_sombrero
10-29-2005, 11:08 PM
alltrack

All-trac.

only set back is its really hard to get some good motion in the ocean goin in the front seat...the seat doesnt go back far enough...lol

Says who? :)

Maybe as a VRI project creech_r can prototype a new GT4 and send it to toyota. WWU's VRI designed one of Subaru's engines...

grease monkey
10-30-2005, 12:19 AM
Sure I see a lot of new hondas as they are the ideal commuter car for the average (not caring) citizen. But.. damn toyota made such great cars, why not take it further?

what do you mean not caring?do you mean theyre what people buy if they dont give a crap about performance or quality?my lx civic auto could easily take my old 91 celica stick easy.and the interior may be bland,but its tasteful and rugged and will last forever!
for some reason,when toyota comes out with a new model of anything,the longer its in production, the more expensive it gets until theres no demand because of the price, then they have to sell them at liquidation prices and lose lots of money.

Azzazzyn
10-30-2005, 02:41 AM
in the jap market, its just about the same here, honduh is on top with yota and 'san behind them. The 240 aka silvia is still in production in japan as is the celi and whatnot, i think yota has like 15 bajillion car models in japan, same with nissan, its cuz there is such a higher demand there for their cars, cuz us filthy americans still wanna support the american market and buy cars that last 100k miles then go poof. I love my 240 to death, i had a pontiac with just over 100k and it caught fire yay.

The 300zx stopped shipment to america in 1996, but stayed alive and was quite a popular car in jap till its demise in 99. I still wanna know why nissan never brought over the damn skyline, i would sell a nut, a lung a kidney and a few toes for one of those.

BlueDragon
10-30-2005, 07:18 AM
simply because the average american is too stupid to even know what a skyline is all about or even care.... its a horrible market ruled by morons

grease monkey
10-30-2005, 07:52 AM
simply because the average american is too stupid to even know what a skyline is all about or even care.... its a horrible market ruled by morons

too stupid?dont you think your deduction is a little bit narrow?i mean if a person doesnt care about performance cars,they just dont care...i know its hard for a speed nut to fathom why a person cant be into modifying their car,but calling them stupid?maybe most people dont want an i-6 turbocharged awd car....do you think every japanese person knows what a skyline is all about or even cares? id venture to say not.

Doctor Jinxed
10-30-2005, 04:17 PM
I think the TC holds the celica legacy up pretty well. I mean, it's got some celica traits.

1) It's got a Camry engine
2) It's slightly overweight
3) Aimed at young people
4) It's a nice sports car with bang for your buck, even if it really isn't all that fast in the first place. lol

But I'd rather have a Celica honestly.

Though, I do have a faint feeling that the TC might come in AWD one of these days. I can FEEL it. lol

BlueDragon
10-30-2005, 04:37 PM
ok ill refraze, there isnt enough market due to everyone in america hating on "ricer" cars. Prefering dangerous out of control V8 rear wheel drive stop half as fast as it accelerates, loses all rear traction with ANY gas in a turn and sucks more gas then a HIGHLY modified japanese car would due to its inneficient 50 year old designs.... IMO that makes the people of this country STUPID... why wouldnt you want a car with the same power twice as much control and safety for you and whom ever you might be racing, on or off the track... I dont kno how many block headed morons ive smoked with my AWD lil celica because they sit and smoke the wheels and look at my tail lights.... Sure not EVERYONE in japan knows about or has a skyline but there is a market for it atleast because they think so much more practicaly over there. This contry is so perched and high and mighty they cant see they DONT do everything the best, and you CAN change and learn from people who do things better... atleast some of the companies realize that... DSM etc. But for the overall reason why no skyline here... like i said PEOPLE ARE STUPID... thanks again

and once again... Fin toyota better step up and bring the supra back here or its dead for the sports car market..

grease monkey
10-30-2005, 06:19 PM
youre a moron dude...typical ricer...have you looked at the mpg of the c-5 vette? probably not cause youre too busy hatin on the cars that are made in the country you live in...i work with a guy that has a 99 vette with the 385hp 350 and an auto and it makes 28 mpg on the hiway.and what about the 4.6 stangs?theyre dohc engines with a really stout design,is that techy enough for you or not cause they went from 4v per cylinder to 3?too much for you to swallow?get over yourself speed racer and open your eyes.....modern american muscle cars arent carbed anymore...oh yeah,im putting an ohc 4 cylinder turbo engine in my mustang,guess what year the engine is?1983!!!its also multi point fuel injected,how many japanese cars had all that that early wise guy?i remember my friends 85 civic having throttle body injection.

Disco Dan
10-30-2005, 06:54 PM
1983!!!its also multi point fuel injected,how many japanese cars had all that that early wise guy?

Celica did, smart guy. The 22RE in 1982 was fuel injected. Also this is laughable:

my lx civic auto could easily take my old 91 celica stick easy

I have a 92 LX Civic, manual, and when they say it as 103 hp, they mean it. I worry that that car will die on me when I try to take it up steep hills. And no, off a dead stop, if I were able to clone myself and drive both my Civic and my Celica (convertible, mind you, so it's even a bit heavier than the normal celica), I would toast myself in the Celica. I drive both fairly regularly so I'm very familiar with their capabilities. And as for handling, my civic squeals around light corners at low speeds, whereas the Celica hugs the road in all but the most extreme maneuvers. Why is that? Because the Celica was designed as an affordable sports car, and the Civic was designed as an affordable commuter car.

As for the Celica making a come back in the future, rereleased in the U.S. I highly doubt it. I suppose it's possible, but the demand would have to be incredibly high. Plus, this is Toyota, not Disney.

erc
10-30-2005, 10:24 PM
I've got a tC, and wouldn't consider a replacement for the Celica. The Celica is light and nimble, the tC is much heavier (2900 lbs)... not the same driving experience.

On the up side, it loves boost. The TRD supercharger is pretty modest, and managest to get 192HP to the wheels (at least on the one dyno I've seen) and a $50 pulley would increase that quite a bit.

There are a few companies developing turbo kits right now. The kit I'm following has done some preliminary tuning and put down 244 HP / 255 tq @ 8.7psi with a bad clutch.They expect closer to 280 HP with further tuning and an aftermarket clutch. Note that these numbers came from a pretty high tech dyno machine with a computerized load system that is meant to simulate a real street run... so on a regular dyno, they expect the numbers would be about 15% higher.

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68328

Anyway, the 2az engine in the tC is pretty sout. Cast iron sleeved block, forged rods and crankshaft.

James D.
10-30-2005, 11:46 PM
alright guys, dont blow this out of proportion now, no dissin names please...

grease monkey
10-31-2005, 03:32 AM
Celica did, smart guy. The 22RE in 1982 was fuel injected. Also this is laughable:

I have a 92 LX Civic, manual, and when they say it as 103 hp, they mean it. I worry that that car will die on me when I try to take it up steep hills. And no, off a dead stop, if I were able to clone myself and drive both my Civic and my Celica (convertible, mind you, so it's even a bit heavier than the normal celica), I would toast myself in the Celica. I drive both fairly regularly so I'm very familiar with their capabilities. And as for handling, my civic squeals around light corners at low speeds, whereas the Celica hugs the road in all but the most extreme maneuvers. Why is that? Because the Celica was designed as an affordable sports car, and the Civic was designed as an affordable commuter car.

As for the Celica making a come back in the future, rereleased in the U.S. I highly doubt it. I suppose it's possible, but the demand would have to be incredibly high. Plus, this is Toyota, not Disney.

whats laughable?my civic is a 2000 lx auto....it could and can EASILY take my old celica...so youre disagreeing with me on the honda beating the celica thing,but your civic will outrun your celica?thats what you wrote...

Rix86
10-31-2005, 03:44 AM
Sorry, but the Tc owns the 7th gen IMHO.
I hate driving the 7th gen.
power delivery sucks, gearing is wrong, (adds to crappy power delivery) can't see out of the thing, engine is noisy and rattly and I, haven't heard a good sounding exhaust on one yet, they are serious rattle traps, they suck to work on ans get in and out of.... I could go on but I won't.
except they are too expensive.
the steering is nice, the seats are nice, the shifter feels ok..... the brakes are good.
handling... well FWD handling....

Tc, less expensive, less rattles, steering and brakes feel just as good, seats are not as good, but still comfy, you can actually see out of it (better anyway) better looking (IHMO) and is almost as fast as a gts due to the extra torque and better delivery.

I HATE to see the celica name go away, but don't feel bad at all about the 7th gen going away. :givafuck:

Flame away.....

Waffle
10-31-2005, 04:00 AM
whats laughable?my civic is a 2000 lx auto....it could and can EASILY take my old celica...so youre disagreeing with me on the honda beating the celica thing,but your civic will outrun your celica?thats what you wrote...
Wow, hit the space bar after each sentence. Also you read his post wrong, he said the celica would win not the civic. I highly doubt your 2000 Civic LX Auto 106 HP could take down a 5speed 130 HP Celica. I have raced multiple Civic LX and EX's and have always won by at least 2-3 car lengths. Sorry bud your Civic LX is SLOW!! I moved on to bigger fish, SI's. :hehe:

grease monkey
10-31-2005, 04:58 AM
are you kidding?first off,i was refferring to my old celica which was an st bucko..and furthermore,my old 1995 civic ex coupe could EASILY take down a 5th gen celica gt or gts..and what the fuck are you a professional typist? :lolhittin

Devilsden97
10-31-2005, 02:05 PM
little did i know when i started this thread, the controversy that would insue.

I figured people would bash the Tc, but people bashing the 7th gen, 6th gen and 5th gen....? wtf its the 7th gen forum.

people saying taht a Honda Civic POS will out run any celica are retarted (yes this includes the ST) and on top of it, its a celica forum, y are the civic lovers here?

when i started this i wanted some opinions and the truth about weither the 7th gen was done. Now its become a battle for bragging rights between the Honda and Toyota owners. To all the Honda owners, go by an s2000 and maybe maybe u can run with some of the big boys. (ie...Presure2)

BlackJagger
10-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Tone it down there. Say your opinion, bash the others opinion, but lets not start bashing other members here. That not what the boards about.

IMO I'm sad to see the Celica go just for its name. But this has happened before and it will happen again. Too often cars get too expenise for its target market. Just look at the Supra and the RX-7. Toyota has to make their bottom line. And now there getting even smarter and developing branding that can distinguise them even more from the competition. The celica was a younger males car,this is a marketing position, so if they come out with a younger "brand" or "label" such as Scion of course they're going to move their younger positioned vehicles into that brand. Sadly that means that the celica is no more. But lets hope that they come out with newer vehicles that are even better. And I don;t think that we are going to see a new celica in a couple of years. The only reason we are hearing rumours about the new camero is because there is finally a new platform that it can be developed on, the sigma-lite, and because its just like the mustang, its not to make money off, its just to have as an icon. Again marketing, the camero is there to have a flashy car that the average person can afford, so that you will buy other GM cars just because you have camero.

Oh and about the fuel effiency of cars and such, yeah the new vettes get high MPG on the highway, but look at their city average, I forget what it is but it gets crazy bad. You got to look at the whole pic.

Cheers
Josh

Devilsden97
10-31-2005, 05:48 PM
you can argue this both ways till dooms day, but your never gonna be any closer to the answer.

Its opinion based!

Respect other opinions, even if YOUR opinion on THEM is.....well less then what u would expect from a 5 year old. (poopy) lol

I think we need a 7th gen gts and a supercharged TC and we need a dyno and an autocross.

( If any one takes this seriously, Msg me. Id love to see how they run against one another. only thing is, that i dont own a 7th gen or a Tc lol. But i would like to see some numbers and times)

(while ur at it, take presure2's GT-T and race it against a POS S2000. I wouldnt mind seeing that! WE ALL <3 YOU PRESURE2!!)

Don't settle it on a forum, Take it to the track and settle this like real men!

Only problem i have with american made cars is quality. They seem to crap out after like 120,000 miles. While i have seen celicas and ( i hate to say it) hondas with 300,000+ miles. Thats y japanese cars are so popular. (amongst the average, non enthusiast)

erc
10-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Apologies in advance for posting on topic.

Yes, the Celica is going away, but in my very humble opinion, the tC isn't a replacement for the Celica.

They're not even close to being the same type of car. The tC is more of an inexpensive pseudo-luxury car with a comfortable amount of power/torque. Its glass roof adds weight in a bad spot. It uses the celica's brakes, but the suspension comes from somewhere else (and was the first thing I replaced on mine, Hotchkis makes a great Stage 1 suspension package for the tC)

Other than the brakes, the number of doors, and the hatchback, There aren't a whole lot of similarities.

There were rumors that 'tC' stood for Toyota Celica, but that's not the case. The only reason it's not called the xC after the xA and xB, is because Volvo already makes an xC.

As my previous post indicates, it has it's strengths and is built to handle FI... although it would be really nice to see a limited slip option from the factory.

All that said, it's really a shame that Toyota is ending the Celica, especially with all of the history involved.

grease monkey
10-31-2005, 07:01 PM
i guess i apologize for making some peoples tampons more bloody,but just cause you dont like a certain car doesnt make it a pos.....i could go on for days about pros and cons of every car on the planet,but it gets me no where...so take it at face value and stfu,its just one guys opinion.oh yeah,im glad to see the 7th gen go the way of the dodo bird,i THINK theyre ugly.

Azzazzyn
10-31-2005, 08:44 PM
:stupid: on teh ugly part, but the chicka's drivign them :yum:

James D.
10-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Sorry, but the Tc owns the 7th gen IMHO.
I hate driving the 7th gen.
power delivery sucks, gearing is wrong, (adds to crappy power delivery) can't see out of the thing, engine is noisy and rattly and I, haven't heard a good sounding exhaust on one yet, they are serious rattle traps, they suck to work on ans get in and out of.... I could go on but I won't.
except they are too expensive.
the steering is nice, the seats are nice, the shifter feels ok..... the brakes are good.
handling... well FWD handling....

Tc, less expensive, less rattles, steering and brakes feel just as good, seats are not as good, but still comfy, you can actually see out of it (better anyway) better looking (IHMO) and is almost as fast as a gts due to the extra torque and better delivery.

I HATE to see the celica name go away, but don't feel bad at all about the 7th gen going away. :givafuck:

Flame away.....

No flaming, this is just my opinion and from experience driving a TC and Celica GTS

comparison between a GTS and TC?, 7th Gen GTS owns by performance and handling, N/A power, hands down to the GTS, Forced Induction, the TC will get more taste from it since its a 2.4 liter and compression is low. Beat alot of Scion TC both legal drag racing and autocross. Drove a TC and i feel more power on the GTS.

Always remember that both cars have advantage and disadvantage. Both are great cars no doubt, but FOR ME the 7th Gen GTS outhandles the TC. The TC will never be a replacement for the celica.

Devilsden97
10-31-2005, 10:26 PM
No flaming, this is just my opinion and from experience driving a TC and Celica GTS

comparison between a GTS and TC?, 7th Gen GTS owns by performance and handling, N/A power, hands down to the GTS, Forced Induction, the TC will get more taste from it since its a 2.4 liter and compression is low. Beat alot of Scion TC both legal drag racing and autocross. Drove a TC and i feel more power on the GTS.

Always remember that both cars have advantage and disadvantage. Both are great cars no doubt, but FOR ME the 7th Gen GTS outhandles the TC. The TC will never be a replacement for the celica.

id like to state the the moderator has been the only one, thus far, that has totally given his oppinon and not BASHEd someone elses or bashed another car....for the reason of "just because." Kudos to you mr. moderator, we all love u!

Punisher
10-31-2005, 10:43 PM
The celica's handle damn great with the factory suspension.. no need to spend more cash on the TRD upgrades.. I love how the steering always tightens up on my 5th gen when I am goin fast.. I've driven other cars and doin 70mph around a turn sucks.. the power steering is so strong the wheel is as loose at 70 as it is sitting still.

They MR-S bombed because it doesn't have any power.. or style if you ask me.. the MR2's were damn fast and hot.. the MR-S is like a mid-life office guy car..

The 7th gen celica's are kinda crap ass too.. they don't have a very sporty look to them.. more a hybrid look.. and I'm kinda sick of hearing about the same fuckin engines in every toyota now... it's all the 2zz's.. What happened to the original engine codes.. Z for supercharger.. T for turbo.. E for EFI.. I see a 2zz and i'm like.. 2z.. engine block .. another Z.. must be supercharged.. heh

Anywho, Dodge brought a bunch of kids in to help with the SRT-4.. Toyota needs to do the same thing.. a lot of older people that grew up with cars like the 4th and 5th gen celica's .. that's what they want back.. specially the alltracs. Shit like that ain't cheap to make that's for sure. Plus they had a wide body.. sleek look.. they look like REAL race cars

James D.
10-31-2005, 11:18 PM
We dont really need bashing one another here, we have our own opinion and pretty much its "to each his own" kinda thing. Each owns experience is based. Were in the same forum here and we all wanna keep it cool :cool:

The 7th gen celica's are kinda crap ass too.. they don't have a very sporty look to them.. more a hybrid look.. and I'm kinda sick of hearing about the same fuckin engines in every toyota now... it's all the 2zz's.. What happened to the original engine codes.. Z for supercharger.. T for turbo.. E for EFI.. I see a 2zz and i'm like.. 2z.. engine block .. another Z.. must be supercharged.. heh

The 7th Gen is not a crap ass, reviews everywhere say that "its got the sporty look and sporty handling" to it, in fact it is IMO, but i do understand where you are comming from about the 2zz engine, the ZZ is the new engine family for toyota like nissans VQ family, alot of nissan guys are disappointed coz they quit the SRs and RBs engine family, even the new skyline being revealed is a VQ flatform. This is not a downgrade tho since car manufacturers are testing new engines and it will be this way through out generations, we always are excited what they would come up next. Like me not a honda fan but i am amazed what they did for the RSX motor new engine family K20s. Most of us 7th gen owners would love toyota to bring back the 3SGTE and 3SGE.

The engine code for supercharger is on the Head side not the engine family side i.e. 4A-G"Z"E or 3S-G"T"E, 4A,3S=Engine Family. GZE,GTE is the head design. :bigthumbu

TheNefariousOne
11-01-2005, 05:40 AM
wtf man, this thread is so full of ignorance it's unbelievable. I can't believe people still hold such biased, unbased opinions concerning domestics. First off, I have seen (and owned) American made cars that have had well over 100,000 miles on them and had no real issues. Secondly, tell American manufacturers that pushrod engines are ancient technology when the C6 Z06 is pushing 505 hp and runs the Nurenburg (no idea on spelling) in 8 minutes and some odd seconds (VERY fast).

I have no problem with people prefering a specific manufacturer, or even imports over domestics. It just bothers me when people hate on cars based on things that simply are not true.

Punisher
11-01-2005, 06:42 AM
I ain't hating on the 7th gen.. I just think they could've done better and the 2ZZGE is good.. But I got into toyota with an 89 corolla.. and now a 90 celica.. I love old toyota more than new toyota.. I think they just stepped away from what they were making, which were really damn fine cars.. If they would've continued the MR2 in the same way it was before.. that same sleek style and matching speed.. it would've sold more. I just don't think the 7th gen holds a candle to the older celica's in there day.

elektrateq
11-01-2005, 08:53 AM
I still wanna know why nissan never brought over the damn skyline, i would sell a nut, a lung a kidney and a few toes for one of those.

The Skyline is come to the US soon.

Tommy91GT
11-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Not to inturrupt your arguing, but back to topic:

Toyota stopped exporting both the MR2 and the Celica because their sales were to low. As of now they do not plan on re-introducing the Celica to the US at anytime. There was an article Early this year from Toyota says that they wanted try to up sales on the Scion, and not compete against themselves. Those that love Toyotas and wanted another would switch to the Scion for a new car. To keep the "Ricers' as we have been refered to, happy they planned on a new platform persay for the Corrola, making it an affordable tuner, kinda like the Focus or SRT. For the true gear heads the SPR prototype should see the US market in late 06 supposedly. This is suppose to be Toyota's answer to the 350Z.

Devilsden97
11-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Not to inturrupt your arguing, but back to topic:

Toyota stopped exporting both the MR2 and the Celica because their sales were to low. As of now they do not plan on re-introducing the Celica to the US at anytime. There was an article Early this year from Toyota says that they wanted try to up sales on the Scion, and not compete against themselves. Those that love Toyotas and wanted another would switch to the Scion for a new car. To keep the "Ricers' as we have been refered to, happy they planned on a new platform persay for the Corrola, making it an affordable tuner, kinda like the Focus or SRT. For the true gear heads the SPR prototype should see the US market in late 06 supposedly. This is suppose to be Toyota's answer to the 350Z.

Any pics of this SPR? I wouldnt mind taking a peek. :bigthumbu

We will name it....The Z slayer.

grease monkey
11-01-2005, 11:43 PM
wtf man, this thread is so full of ignorance it's unbelievable. I can't believe people still hold such biased, unbased opinions concerning domestics. First off, I have seen (and owned) American made cars that have had well over 100,000 miles on them and had no real issues. Secondly, tell American manufacturers that pushrod engines are ancient technology when the C6 Z06 is pushing 505 hp and runs the Nurenburg (no idea on spelling) in 8 minutes and some odd seconds (VERY fast).

I have no problem with people prefering a specific manufacturer, or even imports over domestics. It just bothers me when people hate on cars based on things that simply are not true.

thats what im screamin' yo!!

Tommy91GT
11-02-2005, 07:02 AM
http://www.bilnyheter.no/sup1.jpg
http://www.bilnyheter.no/sup2.jpg

THe High End version is suppose to be a V10 pushing 500+hp. THis version current has a suspected tag of $100K, putting it in the exotic catagory. They are supposedly also making a V6 push somewhere around 300-350 hp low end version that will be priced under $30K. Some people have called it a return of the Supra (SPR) but Toyota is not labelling it that way, maybe for insurance reasons, (insurance on a Supra in HIGH). Now this is all pretty much Rumor and no one but Toyota will know for sure till it debuts, supposed some time late this year/early next. There is even talk that it may be list under as a Lexus line. But we'll see.

daklieb
11-02-2005, 06:09 PM
thoes tails look alot like the 7th gens

Azzazzyn
11-02-2005, 06:20 PM
The Skyline is come to the US soon.
the skyline name has been dropped, if you want to be technical, its in he US now as the g35, with the same engine as the 350z in it. The new gt-r(no skyline in name) is comign to the US under the infiniti brand also, that kind sir i will not sell a nut for, i want my r34, which is why i'm looking at tweak when i get the money together for my swap :)

James D.
11-02-2005, 11:26 PM
THe High End version is suppose to be a V10 pushing 500+hp. THis version current has a suspected tag of $100K, putting it in the exotic catagory. They are supposedly also making a V6 push somewhere around 300-350 hp low end version that will be priced under $30K. Some people have called it a return of the Supra (SPR) but Toyota is not labelling it that way, maybe for insurance reasons, (insurance on a Supra in HIGH). Now this is all pretty much Rumor and no one but Toyota will know for sure till it debuts, supposed some time late this year/early next. There is even talk that it may be list under as a Lexus line. But we'll see.

Thats the Lexus LF-A Concept. This is not even the replacement of the Supra. This is considered an exotic sports car landscape. Its been revealed for a long time now.

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photos/3050110.003/1001.jpg
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photos/3050110.003/1012.jpg
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photos/3050110.003/1015.jpg
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photos/3050110.003/1022.jpg
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photos/3050110.003/1003.jpg
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photos/3050110.003/1008.jpg

for more pics... http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photos.cfm/photoid/3050110.003/Lexus/1.html

Noticed the lines of this car? It is said that it was taken and based from the last generation of the celica, the 7th gen.

Vehicle: Lexus LF-A concept
Engine: High-output double overhead cam V-8
Horsepower: More than 500 hp
Height: 48.0 inches
Width: 73.2 inches
Length: 173.2 inches

creech_r
11-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Maybe as a VRI project creech_r can prototype a new GT4 and send it to toyota. WWU's VRI designed one of Subaru's engines...

umm it'd have to be all CF if people don't mind. And i could try to work in an AWD system. But i'll keep that in mind...you want it to look like the toyota concept car? if you guys got any other ideas that'd be wonderful. If i were to build the Alltrac from the exisiting frame up and show quick progress and diligent 'pretty' work, i might have a case. BUT, you have to fund your own project to do something like that. Now the best part would be i'd have all the molds, i'd be able to build them cheaper and cheaper. They'd still be $100K or so. But, if i work it right i might be able to get some kind of grant for some kind of system, build a producable hybrid or something. There is one kid that is looking at funding his own car and building over the next two summers. He's looking at using some pre-existing molds for the chasis and using some experimental cf that they have bags just laying around of. He's looking to spend some 15K per summer plus stuff he's got lying around. i might try...it'd be hella fun. One nice thing to put on the resume...i built this from scratch...

cosmic_sombrero
11-03-2005, 06:50 AM
One nice thing to put on the resume...i built this from scratch...

... and it goes from 0-60 in 3 seconds.

I want to drive the F1 car next time they have it out :D

I might get to play with UW's old one. Not as cool, but still fast as a bat out of hell.

creech_r
11-03-2005, 07:57 AM
... and it goes from 0-60 in 3 seconds.

I want to drive the F1 car next time they have it out :D

I might get to play with UW's old one. Not as cool, but still fast as a bat out of hell.

funny story, they run restricted 600cc motorcycle engines. They placed pretty well if i remember correctly. after they got back from the comp, they promptly put in an unrestricted 900. One guy giving me the description is a built, almost scary looking guy, and he said very seriously, "it's really scary, i almost shit my pants." they're going to run it soon, and i will hopefully get some time off of work for that.

BlueDragon
11-07-2005, 07:02 PM
youre a moron dude...typical ricer...have you looked at the mpg of the c-5 vette? probably not cause youre too busy hatin on the cars that are made in the country you live in...i work with a guy that has a 99 vette with the 385hp 350 and an auto and it makes 28 mpg on the hiway.and what about the 4.6 stangs?theyre dohc engines with a really stout design,is that techy enough for you or not cause they went from 4v per cylinder to 3?too much for you to swallow?get over yourself speed racer and open your eyes.....modern american muscle cars arent carbed anymore...oh yeah,im putting an ohc 4 cylinder turbo engine in my mustang,guess what year the engine is?1983!!!its also multi point fuel injected,how many japanese cars had all that that early wise guy?i remember my friends 85 civic having throttle body injection.

Ya ok im a moron, because ONE, BRAND NEW EXPENSIVE AS SHIT. Vette has good features?? :givafuck: Imagine that... my 15 year old cheap celica has almost the same tech. Sorry to break it to you but most people cant afford a vette at all, let alone one of the new ones... Give me a break man. Have you ever even been in a C5 vette? I doubt it so who gives a crap how good milage it gets? Im talking about a MARKET. What about he 4.6?? they finaly took a cue from japan and mimic the DOHC design? Good job... only took like 30 years. But still with the RWD, personaly on an icey moutain road or any road corse for that matter Ill take the AWD anyday, since almost no american sports cars have AWD Im forced into these views. And congrats on finding the ford mustang SVO I actually know a bit about these and have one sitting down in GA. that ill be playing around with someday. These also, I might note are squirly as fuck due to turbo RWD setup and being way light ass end wize.
Anyways... :stupid:
I loves me a good ole boy v8 that if I modify it even the slightest bit wont reach 80,000 miles... and gets me super cool ultra-high insurance rates! YAY! haha ok im done flaming I think.

The supra better make a come-back or were gonna be stuck with our old toyota models for a looong time.

TheNefariousOn Just because they have an old pushrod design producing those numbers means nothing for EFFECIENCY... hello they would get more HP without pushing all those extra moving parts around. They use more gas for the same effect, that design IS ancient. They just dont kno when to lay the dinesty to rest. Atleast toyota does... the celica has gone down hill and its time to let her slip into that pool of death.

No offence to the 7th gen enthusiasts. Its just ive autocrossed against 2 7th gens, I beat a 2000 GTS with fulls suspension stuff, gutted for weight... etc by more then 2 seconds on a min 15 ish track... The peak celica was the 5th gen IMHO if we could re-introduce something along those lines again I think sales would go up, but what the hell do i kno? Im not a car marketeer.

It sux to say it, Ill miss the celica alot.

To you american muscle heads, good luck. Ill probly race 3 of your cars in my cars life span and spend half the cash you do just for your muscle head image... lol :cool:

James D.
11-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Kudos for beating 7th Gen GTS on the track but you need to remember in autocross is always a drivers race. Ive beaten a corvette, 350Z, Evo and STi. Theres 2 5th Gens that i also beat. :bigthumbu

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/JamesGTS/GTS001.jpg

remember in autocross, a Toyota Echo will beat any car as along as he is a great skilled driver. :bigthumbu

No offence to the 7th gen enthusiasts. Its just ive autocrossed against 2 7th gens, I beat a 2000 GTS with fulls suspension stuff, gutted for weight... etc by more then 2 seconds on a min 15 ish track...

Enough of this, Topic Closed, time to move on guys :cool: TC and Celica are made by TOYOTA so both are great cars!