PDA

View Full Version : Priming oil pump

Punisher
10-25-2005, 08:40 AM
I ripped it all apart.. cleaned out oil pump.. new shaft seal.. new body gasket.. new front main seal.. etc.. Everything is back on the block now.. how do I go about priming the oil pump?

Dr Tweak
10-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Fill it up with some petroleum grease, like vasilene. Make sure you prime the engine good before you start it up.

Punisher
10-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Well, what I've done before was leave the ignition disconnected and just crank the engine until the oil light went off.. The pump is already installed and everything so my options now are limited..

Dr Tweak
10-25-2005, 09:08 AM
Well, what I've done before was leave the ignition disconnected and just crank the engine until the oil light went off.. The pump is already installed and everything so my options now are limited..

Well, if you can pack it with grease then do it. If not, then do what you said, but also remove the spark plugs so that there's NO load on the engine at all.

Ideally, you would use an external oil pump to get the engine up to operating pressure before you start it.

-Doc

Punisher
10-25-2005, 08:48 PM
best way to take care of the injectors from firing would be to remove the EFI fuse, correct?

alltracman78
10-25-2005, 09:58 PM
yep

Punisher
10-26-2005, 02:29 AM
God I love that yellow top battery.. two days of radio.. a LOT of cranking today.. and the shit still fires right up heh..

So anyway, I cranked engine for a bit.. still no oil.. ok, whatever.. start on with rest of the work gettin shit back together.. Get enough together to start the engine up.. so I do that.. after it ran for a couple seconds I shut it off.. checked stuff then started it back up again.. few more seconds.. then I shut it off, turned oil filter off.. oil started to pour out.. YAHOO! Success!

Stubble
10-28-2006, 04:16 PM
I saw this old thread...you can prime the oil pump by removing the oil filter and pouring oil in until it starts to overflow.

burnyd
10-28-2006, 10:38 PM
lol

Dr Tweak
10-28-2006, 11:56 PM
*scratches head*