PDA

View Full Version : glue problemas

Ricksta
10-23-2005, 10:56 PM
so i went to put my new hood lights on...and i was dabbing the super glue on the bottom of the light and all of a sudden the shit just gushessssssss out....gets all up on my hood.......all i can do is sit there and watch in horror....as two big drops of it run down my hood.....so yes...i took a paper towel..had to wipe if off...and yes..it smeared...now wut the hell am i supposed to do?

Sean
10-24-2005, 12:56 AM
What are hood lights?

Just curious :hehe:

Ricksta
10-24-2005, 01:40 AM
u kno the windshield cleaner thingy's that are attached to ur hood and also are lights....i got green...blue and red are illegal...ring n e bells?

ocb_dave_ocb
10-24-2005, 01:58 AM
why glue em? they come with nuts that attach to the bolts

Ricksta
10-24-2005, 02:04 AM
really? i thought those were for the switch it came with....i dunno...if thier arent instructions i comprimise..lol

Sean
10-24-2005, 02:05 AM
u kno the windshield cleaner thingy's that are attached to ur hood and also are lights....i got green...blue and red are illegal...ring n e bells?

They are?? :hehe:

Wheres the switch for them? I think mine are burnt out!

Anyways,

Cyanoacrylate is removed a couple of different ways. Its important to attack this stuff with the lightest removal method possible.

Start with some warm water, dop it down with a towel and see how much of it comes up from that.

If that doesnt work, try over the counter products such as tar bug remover for auto paint, as well as the simple product, GOOF OFF!!, im thinking that these two solvents should do the trick.

If this still doesnt get cyanoacrylate off your paint, its time to step up to a more abrasive step, Acetone. Acetone is commonly used by females to remove paint from there nails. Use the tiniest of amounts on a Q-tip and be sure to not spill this stuff on your paint. It will remove your paint if you use entirely too much.

The final step, if all else fails, is Laquer Thinner, which again, should be used in small amounts!

Sean
10-24-2005, 02:06 AM
You seriously GLUED them down though??

Dude, ask before you act on your car with anything else. It is a learning process, so let us help you, even with the simplest of things!!

ocb_dave_ocb
10-24-2005, 02:09 AM
really? i thought those were for the switch it came with....i dunno...if thier arent instructions i comprimise..lol

It came with a switch? The last set that i had you wired into your running lights so they came on with the lights? odd.....................

Ricksta
10-24-2005, 03:12 AM
it came with the hood lites and the wiring for it.....but i dont kno if the wiring will even reach the headlite wiring.....and then it had a lil baggy with a black switch and sum nuts n bolts n shit....stop by advance....11.99..lol

Ricksta
10-24-2005, 03:13 AM
and sean i was thinkin of goo gone but i thought that if it even touched the paint it was gonna go by by.....

Ricksta
10-24-2005, 03:15 AM
and yea the shits fuckin super glued....fuckin bonds in 2.5 seconds..i opend the damn bottle and it spilled on my fingers and it took a damn split second and my fingers were glued together...lol

Sean
10-24-2005, 03:36 AM
and sean i was thinkin of goo gone but i thought that if it even touched the paint it was gonna go by by.....

Goo gone is just fine for your paint.

Just dont be dumb with it, wipe off all excess amounts..

Ricksta
10-24-2005, 03:59 AM
aight ima get sum goo gone.......was i not suppost to glue it?!?!?

MoralWarfare
10-24-2005, 11:39 AM
look at the damn instructions man. Either pick up goo gone to get it off, or try 3M general purporse adhesive remover.

Ricksta
10-24-2005, 03:03 PM
yea...once this hurricane over my head feels the need to go away..i'll go do that

alltracman78
10-25-2005, 01:06 PM
damn dude......

4thgenceli
10-25-2005, 04:51 PM
:stupid:

I've installed 3 pairs of these on 2 different cars.. I have never seen then come with a switch. They come with I belive 3 wires to each nozzle. 2 of them are for power(positive/negative) and the 3rd goes to a CONTROL UNIT!. Not a switch. The control unit lets you choose what color to show.

End :jacked:

Use GOO GONE!. Available at any local hardware store. Works wonders. I've used to remove decals from cars, stickers from glass, gum from carpet, list goes on and one.

Ricksta
10-26-2005, 04:59 PM
dude...im telling you..it came with a freakin switch...go to advance dude..its there....o and when my car got towed the other day cuz i left it on the side of the road the assholes wrote on my window...well got a lot of it off with a blade....but my freakin cuzzin gets in my car while im doing so and rolls the window down...and the shavings go all up in my car...i cant get the shit off the dash or the doors....goo gone for this too?

Ricksta
10-26-2005, 04:59 PM
o and the switch has two prongs on the back of it

alltracman78
10-26-2005, 05:20 PM
No, you probably don't want to put that stuff on vinyl.
Try a razor blade VERY GENTLY

Ricksta
10-26-2005, 06:30 PM
well i was bein real gentle with my butterfly knife and it was still scratching the vinyl.......my interior is decked out with leather in everything. id hate for sumthin like this to screw it up

4thgenceli
10-26-2005, 10:47 PM
well i was bein real gentle with my butterfly knife and it was still scratching the vinyl.......my interior is decked out with leather in everything. id hate for sumthin like this to screw it up

:ugh:

I never knew celica's came with leather.....

Try some GENTLE soap & water.

Ricksta
10-26-2005, 11:16 PM
yea i guess mine was the the top of the line gts back in the day...all black leather...5spd, system ten...i dunno wut else it comes with but im happy...yea im gonna try the soap in water here in a few

blck87gtconv
10-27-2005, 09:50 PM
:ugh:

I never knew celica's came with leather.....

Try some GENTLE soap & water.
dude, even the 4th gen GT-S had the leather option.

Okay, before you start using random chemicals to try to get it off, like acetone, which will eat through your paint faster than a goat through a tin can, consider just wet-sanding the area. It's MUCH safer. It'll remove SOME paint, but it won't chemically remove it, which will severely affect its appearnce.

Grab a bucket, a rag, a sponge, and some 2000+ grit wet-sand paper.

Attach the sand paper to the sponge (superglue is fine for this one, :hehe:)
Get the sponge MOIST, not soaked, just moist. Using the rag, soak up some of the water in the bucket, and squeeze the rag over the part of the hood you're about to sand. While there is a layer of water, LIGHTLY (and I mean REALLY lightly) sand the area in a back and forth motion, parallel to the length of the superglue stain. Keep rinsing the area with water from the rag, which should be resaturated quite frequently. You might continue on to do this to your whole car, because you'll end up with a mirror finish on that one spot otherwise..

After sanding! Do a FULL detail job. I mean complete. Clay bar, at least one pass. Paint cleaner.. it'll help blend any imperfections. Then polish to fill in any rogue light-scratches or swirls. Use the polish until the scratches or swirls are as invisible as you can possibly get them.

Then last, but not least, throw on a couple of layers of wax. The wax will keep your paint protected from shit like this. So throw down a few more layers if you feel the need. More layers won't hurt anything.

Take pics and post pics of your new show-quality paint.

If you need any more help with this, I'd be happy to help, but I don't usually check this site. IF I don't check back here, you can email me, or get ahold of me at toyotaunderground. (not a shameless plug :hehe: )

Good luck.

Sean
10-28-2005, 01:21 AM
dude, even the 4th gen GT-S had the leather option.

Okay, before you start using random chemicals to try to get it off, like acetone, which will eat through your paint faster than a goat through a tin can, consider just wet-sanding the area. It's MUCH safer. It'll remove SOME paint, but it won't chemically remove it, which will severely affect its appearnce.

Grab a bucket, a rag, a sponge, and some 2000+ grit wet-sand paper.

Attach the sand paper to the sponge (superglue is fine for this one, :hehe:)
Get the sponge MOIST, not soaked, just moist. Using the rag, soak up some of the water in the bucket, and squeeze the rag over the part of the hood you're about to sand. While there is a layer of water, LIGHTLY (and I mean REALLY lightly) sand the area in a back and forth motion, parallel to the length of the superglue stain. Keep rinsing the area with water from the rag, which should be resaturated quite frequently. You might continue on to do this to your whole car, because you'll end up with a mirror finish on that one spot otherwise..

After sanding! Do a FULL detail job. I mean complete. Clay bar, at least one pass. Paint cleaner.. it'll help blend any imperfections. Then polish to fill in any rogue light-scratches or swirls. Use the polish until the scratches or swirls are as invisible as you can possibly get them.

Then last, but not least, throw on a couple of layers of wax. The wax will keep your paint protected from shit like this. So throw down a few more layers if you feel the need. More layers won't hurt anything.

Take pics and post pics of your new show-quality paint.

If you need any more help with this, I'd be happy to help, but I don't usually check this site. IF I don't check back here, you can email me, or get ahold of me at toyotaunderground. (not a shameless plug :hehe: )

Good luck.

Umm.. I gave him a list of 7 things to do. With Acetone at the very bottom of it.

Why in the world would he wet sand it, when Goof off is going to completely remove it? :rollseyes:

Ricksta
10-28-2005, 03:20 AM
has any one ever heard of wet sanding your whole car to get it to shine like new?!?!? i mean im skeptical about this. i'll try it if it'll bring my paint to shine again....havent been able to get to wally world to get sum goo gone jus yet...but right now im more concerned about the interior that got fucked from the shoe cleaner the guy used to write on my freakin window

blck87gtconv
10-28-2005, 03:47 AM
has any one ever heard of wet sanding your whole car to get it to shine like new?!?!? i mean im skeptical about this. i'll try it if it'll bring my paint to shine again....havent been able to get to wally world to get sum goo gone jus yet...but right now im more concerned about the interior that got fucked from the shoe cleaner the guy used to write on my freakin window
...what do you think they do when you pay $2K plus for a paint job?

Ricksta
10-28-2005, 10:14 PM
aight i'll try it and let everyone kno how it goes...

Sean
10-28-2005, 10:31 PM

Please please dont sand your car.....

Now, ricksta, i'm leaving for the weekend. Do not attempt to start any huge projects. If you want to restore your paint, theres simple steps we can walk you through before you attempt to... sand your car. dawn soap, clay bar, rubbing compound, polish, wax. We can do it man.

Please take care of this guy folks.

Ricksta
10-28-2005, 10:50 PM
ok ok.....i'll wait till you come back...lol

alltracman78
10-29-2005, 01:48 AM
What have you already tried?
Anything?

Ricksta
10-29-2005, 02:47 AM
well see i cant really get to anywhere to buy what i need...my car keeps overheating. i just bought a new koyo radiator and i installed it and it works fine but now i think the water pump is fucked up so im still leaking water..so i STILL cant get anywhere to buy what i need to fix this crap

schmooot
10-29-2005, 03:06 AM
If your water pump is blown you will leak antifreeze out of a small hole in the pump itself

Ricksta
10-30-2005, 02:20 AM
well today on my way to work i had to refill my radiator every few miles. and then on my way home ever mile. it was rediculous. i bought a new water pump and timing belt and hopefully i can find sumone to fix it tomorro or im going to have to try my best to do it myself from bgb

alltracman78
10-30-2005, 05:56 PM
If your water pump is blown you will leak antifreeze out of a small hole in the pump itself

Not necessarily.

Ricksta, are you sure it's your pump?
If it is, and you run into problems, just let us know. :)

Ricksta
10-30-2005, 06:11 PM
well i spent all my extra money on new suspension this week....and if my uncle tries to charge me anything more then 70bux im going to have to do it myself. which isnt a good because bgb doesnt tell you anything about having to take apart a portion of the motor because the timing belt is connected to the water pump :(

cosmic_sombrero
11-01-2005, 12:34 AM
i was trained by the best and now i am one of the best...im 19 now and average 1000 to 1300 a week...

wow. I hope you got DAMN good suspension with all that spare money.

Its usually pretty easy to tell if its the pump, especially if you're loosing that much water. Can you see the leak?

Ricksta
11-01-2005, 02:05 AM
o yes i can see the leak..i already bought the pump...and i didnt buy a huge expensive suspension set cause im savin for the 3sgte motor ..i bought kyb and eibach pro kit

blck87gtconv
11-06-2005, 10:51 AM
No worries.. if it IS your waterpump, I can walk you through the entire process.. I'm sure plenty of others here could as well.

Unexpected hurdles included at no extra charge.

Ricksta
11-06-2005, 03:59 PM
lol..well me and my uncle are going to do it today....iits supposively this big job because the timing belt is on the water pump and you have to take off the front of the motor to get to it...bunch of bull but i need my car back...he said he was gonna jack the motor up so he could get to it easier and im like you brake it you buy it..lol

ocb_dave_ocb
11-06-2005, 04:51 PM
lol..well me and my uncle are going to do it today....iits supposively this big job because the timing belt is on the water pump and you have to take off the front of the motor to get to it...bunch of bull but i need my car back...he said he was gonna jack the motor up so he could get to it easier and im like you brake it you buy it..lol

He is telling you right, you have to take loose the power steering stuff, unbolt the passenger motoro mount, and lift it up, you may have to move the cruise control box too for easier access, remove the timing cover, mark all of you holes in the gears, remove the water pump, install a new one, put on the timing belt, etc. etc. oh yeah and dont forget to put it in time...

And that folks is changing a timing belt, and water pump in a nut shell...

Ricksta
11-07-2005, 02:38 AM
ya well we ran into a little problem today. we got down to the crank bolt. well i think thats what it is. it was the bolt on one of the cams thats gotta come off....well it wouldnt budge..even got one of those air guns to get it off and that still dont work. so tomorro were going to get an even bigger one and if that dont work i dont know what to do

blck87gtconv
11-10-2005, 08:47 AM
ya well we ran into a little problem today. we got down to the crank bolt. well i think thats what it is. it was the bolt on one of the cams thats gotta come off....well it wouldnt budge..even got one of those air guns to get it off and that still dont work. so tomorro were going to get an even bigger one and if that dont work i dont know what to do
If it's the bolt holding the crankshaft pulley on, there's a trick. If it's a cam sprocket bolt you're talking about, You'll have to grab a few extra tools to hold the sprocket while you loosen the bolt.

To remove the crankshaft pulley.. without much effort at all. Get a cheater(breaker bar) and the proper socket size for the bolt (14mm, isn't it? that sounds too small.. maybe it was 18.. I don't remember it's been well over a year), and hook the socket up to the breaker bar, and set it on the bolt. Rest the breaker bar so it's propped against the ground(towards the back of the car, not towards the front). Make sure it's on there pretty solidly. Hook up the battery cables, pull the EFI main fuse, get in the car, and crank the starter in short quick jolts. the bolt should come free. You may need to use some silicone lube to help loosen it up, but it should come off.

to remove the pulley, you'll need a kit that you can rent for free from autozone.

schmooot
11-11-2005, 07:36 PM
^^thats the best way to get the crank bolt off, chances are its been on there for a helluva long time. work smarter not harder, let the starter do the cranking for you.