PDA

View Full Version : Elliott's intake and battery relocation - You too can attempt this!

Elliott
12-21-2004, 05:44 AM
I actually attempted a not-so-hackjob (its still pretty dodgey) intake and battery location today:

http://www.geocities.com/erolit/intake1.jpg
The new straight intake :)
http://www.geocities.com/erolit/battery1.jpg

Note the PCV pipe :P

Also, dont worry that AFM wireing job is temporary :D

The battery relocation done with almost-proper components.

Parts used:
$7 battery base from Repco
$10 rubber 3" to 3" piece from Repco
$30 dry filter intake from Repco
$6 aluminium pipe (50cm x 80mm cut down to about 20cm) from Capral

for the turbo to the aluminium pipe i used a cut down piece from the OEM intake, which works fine.

Yes, i'm stingey.

Elliott

Aust162
12-21-2004, 07:30 AM
hrmm... good work getting it all going.i see you did Richard's technique on the battery bracket. that AFM wiring is troubling to see thou.lol. hows the car run? any different? i've heard it should reduce spool up time and make your intake noise louder??

Now all you need to do is get some air to that filter. CAI style :)

tooch
12-21-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm itching to do the intake mod to my car, haven't had the bloody time tho! Good to see it's easy, altho I wanted to get a pipe welded up like Richard's one with all the connections and shit.

Looks good tho :)

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
12-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Nice

Although, a point of warning. the PCV is just that, a positive crankcase ventilation. It has to have 'vacuum' to work at its most efficient.

Get yourself an oil catch can, and tap it back into the intake.

Apart from that, top stuff :)

Elliott
12-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Crank case ventilation can lick my hairy motherfucking balls, its going to the atomsphere till tehd ay i die :)

Basically that piope is going to the left bonnet vent. when im sitting at traffic lights i get an awesome oil-steam pouring out hte bonnet :P it looks funky :)

There was no noticable difference between my old "HKS filter with a stock intake" to the new "straight-pipe with repco intake" in either sound or spool time, but i wasnt expecting anything fantastic - it looks funky though.

Also i have a 200W 12V fan connected to my air intake pipe to draw up as much cold air up the stock intake pipe as possible - which should at least bring some more cold air into circulation undetr hte bonnet.

Ignore me ive been drinking.

Elliott

ROME
12-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Well i see that the AFM wires need to be extended.. How about the battary wires?? Do they reach to their new position?

Elliott
12-22-2004, 12:19 AM
The AFM wires needed extending (which i did by twisting the cores together and electrical taping it :D), and the only thing i did to the battery wire was move the negative terminal chassis ground.

Elliott

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
12-22-2004, 06:44 AM
The AFM wires needed extending (which i did by twisting the cores together and electrical taping it :D), and the only thing i did to the battery wire was move the negative terminal chassis ground.

Elliott

same here.

elektrateq
08-12-2006, 09:33 AM
IC u've got a bit of the old stock intake tubing there... mind gettin it pointed at the new filter?