View Full Version : breaking cvjoint

12-21-2004, 03:45 AM
it makes the rattling noise when i turn left. i will eventually replace.. but if the cv joint does go out will it actually be undriveable. or would i be able to limp it back home?

12-21-2004, 03:58 AM
it will be driveless, just like the car was in nuetral. Happened to me driving down the road after replacing one, autozone gave me the wrong one, and it came apart.

12-22-2004, 02:15 AM
yeah its not a good thing....it sucks...lol, change it quickly..

12-22-2004, 03:26 AM
your cv boot might be cracked right now...dont wait til the cv joint gives up...

12-23-2004, 05:01 AM
If the joint is currently makeing noise then it is bad regardless of the boots condition. It can fall apart and leave you stranded however that is the extreme. Get it fixed as soon as you are able without having to rob a bank to get it done. but rebuilding the joint is out of the question because it is damaged. Just get a rebuilt axle from an aftermarket parts vendor, they usually work just fine.

12-24-2004, 07:41 AM
get that fixed asap, you dont want to be stranded somewhere if it breaks while you are driving, especially in the winter. I had mine done, tried to do it myself, than gave up, lack of tools and knowledge didnt help. It cost me like 100 for the cv axle, and 100 to get it installed, not that bad of a deal. Anyways, if it does break while you are driving, it can potentially damage other parts in the area beucase that axle will be slinging around in there, so get it fixed now so nothing like that happens.

12-26-2004, 12:32 AM
Not a hard fix. altho, if you drive like you have some since you can drive on it for awhile.

12-26-2004, 05:18 AM
just a tip....never get a new axel from autozone. i went through like 5 of their CCT rebuilds. all broke, in a 1 month time frame. went to carquest and got a great one the 1st time.

12-31-2004, 06:57 AM
here is a question me and a friend had a argument the other day... someone answer me this... do u have to have the carter pin on? cuz my friend told me some mechanic guy told him the carter pin was put in at the factory to hold the cv joint in while it was going down the production line to keep it from falling out... the mechanic also told him that once everything is bolted up it dont matter if its in or not... i was just curious i dont think it really matters either but i want you guys 2 cents

12-31-2004, 12:53 PM
Things were put there for a reason....

I see where he is coming from though. The idea is to keep that 32mm nut from completely backing out on you. That nut will come loose if its not torqued to its full potential (200 plus pounds). I have had that nut come loose on me before, it will ruin your wheel bearings in a matter of hours.

It is possible for the axel to slip itself out of the hub, which would cause some serious damage. If that nut backs all the way off, you make a turn, it can slide out of the hub, and spin around until the damage is down. Not worth it for a 1 dollar cotter pin IMHO!

Yes, rebuilt axels are the way to go, about 60 bucks with your core charge! Lifetime warranty, cant beat that :)