PDA

View Full Version : 19 Or 18 Inches?

FORTEE
10-20-2005, 03:10 AM
ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR MY GT-S? IF SO I WAS LOOKING FOR THE PROS AND CONS OF 19 AND 18 INCH RIMS. I KNOW THE BIGGER RIM WOULD LOOK MUCH NICER, BUT I DON'T WANT THE NOISE OF CONSTANT RUBBING OF THE TIRES WITH ANYTHING. AND THE 18s IM SURE WOULD GIVE ME NO TROUBLE, BUT WON'T LOOK AS NICE AS THE 19s. THANX...40

hyoctane
10-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Why do you want those huge monster wheels on your celica? Your poor GT-S won't even get out of it's own way if you throw those wheels on it. I'd go with 17" MAX.. and thats a lighter weight wheel. Thats just my $.02 from a fellow GT-S owner.

Galcobar
10-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Properly sized, the diametre of the wheel doesn't matter (within reason) as long as you decrease the sidewall height of the tire so as to maintain the stock diametre, which is 23.4" total.

This assumes you select a wheel with an appropriate width -- I've never heard of anyone successfully running a wheel wider than 8" on even a wide-body Celica.

However, as hyoctane noted, the bigger the wheel, the worse the performance (assuming similar design). The more rotating weight you put on your car, the slower it will accelerate and the less accurately it will handle. Up to a point, the additional rubber on the road will compensate. A 17" wheel is typically considered the tipping point for Celicas with a reasonably light wheel. Plus, bigger wheels push whatever weight there is farther away from the axle, increasing the amount of power needed to overcome inertia due to the leverage a bigger wheel has over a smaller one, when they weigh the same.

And of course, there's ride quality, or lack thereof with wheels that big.

MoralWarfare
10-21-2005, 11:34 AM
20s, ROLL ON 20s!!!!

James D.
10-23-2005, 11:47 PM
i'll stick to 17s, this is just me since im an autocross racer, 17s for everyday driven and 15s for racing, yeah i swtich tires every race day.

18s if you want, 19s is just too much

celicer
10-24-2005, 06:25 AM
i wouldn't even go wtih 17's everyone on here just wants that ricy look.. i woudl go with 16 atleast and since u have a gts it woudl lighten it up soem more.. but trust me the jdm look woudl be phat on ur car since everyoen is all about hte body kits and gay shit like that.. just put soem 16 on it and a nice lip and lowered and u wou ld have a pimp ride...

lburner
10-24-2005, 08:10 PM
if your all about the looks and ish like that do u go with the 18's dont do 19's my boy put 19's on his stock gt-s and it drives like a stock honda now thats something u dont want.lol if u do go with the 19's. im not with the big rim ish ill stay with my 16ins rotas

James D.
10-24-2005, 11:03 PM
i wouldn't even go wtih 17's everyone on here just wants that ricy look.. i woudl go with 16 atleast and since u have a gts it woudl lighten it up soem more.. but trust me the jdm look woudl be phat on ur car since everyoen is all about hte body kits and gay shit like that.. just put soem 16 on it and a nice lip and lowered and u wou ld have a pimp ride...

Ricey look? define rice, so just because you have 17s youre car will look riced out? JDM define JDM, what makes a USDM car be a JDM car, just because you are slapping on 16s will make your car JDM?

Sorry guy, you are totally wrong with your own perspective about the whole ricer and jdm theme but hey to each his own buddy

slvrblt
10-24-2005, 11:25 PM
I personally would stay with a 17" wheel max. But given that you are choosing between a 18" and 19" the 18 would be the better choice. When you start going with the smaller and smaller sidewall you increase your chances of damaging your wheel if you hit a pothole.

big_C_tothe_Z
10-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Gotta go with the 24s yo.

hombredelassrtas
11-03-2005, 06:34 PM
I thought about this as well and I am more of an appearence guy. sure say "ricey" but i dont give a damn ;) its my car so i do what i want :) If you can affod the 19's and ur all aobut loosk go for it. I 1st couldnt afford them, and 2nd wanted alittle smoother ride. I ened up going with tenzo r passion 5's 18x75. After that you need to decide tire size. The 1st number u prob know is width, and 2nd is height. with my kit i scrape as it is so prob wont lower any time soon so i wanted most tire as i could get for smoother ride. I ended up getting 225x40's. most get 215x35's but the 35 was to thin for me. If your gonna drop your car however i woudl get 35 so u dont rub. I hope this helped some.

Mikey
11-11-2005, 06:11 AM
ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR MY GT-S? IF SO I WAS LOOKING FOR THE PROS AND CONS OF 19 AND 18 INCH RIMS. I KNOW THE BIGGER RIM WOULD LOOK MUCH NICER, BUT I DON'T WANT THE NOISE OF CONSTANT RUBBING OF THE TIRES WITH ANYTHING. AND THE 18s IM SURE WOULD GIVE ME NO TROUBLE, BUT WON'T LOOK AS NICE AS THE 19s. THANX...40

Are you yelling at us or sumthin? :cool: