PDA

View Full Version : car scratches because of new paint

banshee3388
10-19-2005, 11:03 PM
okay so i got the car painted about a month ago and the paint scratches everytime i wash it. no matter what i was it with it always leave little scratches in it there arnt really noticable unless you look at the paint in the light and you see every swirl mark from just washing it with car soap. i cant even dry the car because that puts even worse scratches in it. so any suggestion on how to wash the car w/o scracthing the paint. I normally use a 100% cotton mitten and other times just a regular car wash sponge

Galcobar
10-20-2005, 01:03 AM
Change your wash and drying method.

Get a new, genuine, good quality sheepskin wash mit. Remove all rings, watches, bracelets, belt buckles, etc. before washing.

Get two wash buckets. One holds the soapy water and is never touched with a dirty wash mit. The other is for rinsing the wash mit. Change the rinse water whenever it gets cloudy.

Make sure your soap content is sufficiently high for the hardness of your water. The soap/water mix should feel noticably slippery.

Wash from the top down. Meaning, do the roof, then the trunk/hood, then the tops of the doors, and only after you've washed everything more than a foot above the ground do you do the lowest section.

Dry your car with a 100% cotton terry cloth or microfibre cloth. Do not use anything that has polyester in it, and trim the edging from any towels prior to using it as they often use polyester thread to bind the edges.

Finally, check that your car was painted with decent quality paint and properly baked afterwards. It sounds like you got a really soft mixture.

extremeskillz
11-04-2005, 08:21 PM
well you should compound the car once in while to get rid of scratches...scratches are hard to avoid especially if your washin every week like me..but i use mcguires 3 stage wax and use terry cloths to wash and wax my car..o and use wax as u dry maintainer for in between waxes to maintain the shine

TEAMFaint
11-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Aren't you supposed to wait anywhere from a month and a half to 2 months for new paint to be washed? My dad just got his van repainted a few months ago, and the bodyman said wait that time period for the paint to "cure" so that this sort of thing doesn't happen. He waited 2 months, and his paint is fine when he washes.

undecided
11-05-2005, 03:13 AM
yeah same thing when i painted my bike guy didnt tell me lol

91PinkCeli
11-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Yea you should be waiting at least 2 months...if anything you are only suppose to hose the car off with a low pressure CLEAN water garden hose.