PDA

View Full Version : recovering door panel how-to??

Blue6gcGT
10-19-2005, 07:29 AM
I remember seeing a How-to on Celica.net on how to recover the door panel insert.
anyone have that saved or have a How-to?
Id like to do my door panel inserts in blue leather soon.

ScottGT-S
10-19-2005, 09:06 AM
Im redoing my interior right now so Id be interested as well...im going with the carbon-fibre look i think..

ScottGT-S
10-19-2005, 09:08 AM
quick photochop
http://members.shaw.ca/scotto250/DSC01900.jpg

Galcobar
10-19-2005, 10:30 PM
When I picked up a set of System 10 door panels, the fabric inserts didn't match my seats -- I've got a 90 GT, the panels came from a 92 GTS.

The fabric panel is actually just glued onto the door -- the vinyl covering the rest of the door is a single piece that goes from top to bottom and lies under the fabric.

I found the best method was to use isopropanol (disinfectant alcohol, not rubbing alcohol) to break down the glue. Apply it into the grooves so it can work on the glue, as the fabric itself is plastic-backed and the alcohol won't penetrate. Then a VERY dull screwdriver to separate the fabric from the vinyl at the corner by the window switches. Once that corner is pulled up, use a metal spatula (one with the rounded end) to continue separating the fabric and the vinyl. Basically, I used the spatula to work the isopropanol into the glue as I gently pulled up on the fabric. Avoid pulling straight up, as the plastic backing can tear -- and it's the plastic backing that a) holds the fabric together and b) allows you to glue it down again without making the fabric stiff.

I had to go carefully because I was swapping the fabric panels -- I want to sell my old door panels since they're in good condition.

Once I had the fabric panel free, I lightly cleaned the fabric backing and the door panel with paint thinner.

Rubber cement proved the best method of re-attaching the panels, as it remains relatively flexible. Just make sure to apply it to both sides, to get a permanent bond. Because it's applied with a brush, it allows you to be precise, load up on those areas where you want to ensure coverage, and excess is easily removed by rubbing it off.

acidice333
10-20-2005, 12:14 AM
http://sweetlikecandy.info/S3600024.jpg

acidice333
10-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Galcobar... you have a extra set of Sys10 door panels? price? condition?

Galcobar
10-20-2005, 12:57 AM
No, I swapped my GT panels (no speakers) for System 10 panels.