PDA

View Full Version : what would be goot to clean a vert top?

85gtsblackman
10-19-2005, 12:53 AM
k so im going to detail a friends car but it had a white top (convertible) so im wonderring what would be good to clean it with.

Disco Dan
10-20-2005, 01:40 AM
Tide with Bleach Alternative?

blck87gtconv
10-27-2005, 09:51 PM
k so im going to detail a friends car but it had a white top (convertible) so im wonderring what would be good to clean it with.
wrong site mang?

Sean
10-28-2005, 01:18 AM
wrong site mang?

Yeah, Jason, whats up? Are you thinking out loud? Why are YOU here?

blck87gtconv
10-28-2005, 03:48 AM
Yeah, Jason, whats up? Are you thinking out loud? Why are YOU here?
It's alright.. I'd forgotten that this place was overrun with assholes. I'll be on my way.

So long, peeps. good luck with this asshat's help.

ocb_dave_ocb
10-28-2005, 03:51 AM

Simple Green works wonders on those white tops, I used it on my white top on my tracker it looked brand new

blck87gtconv
10-28-2005, 03:58 AM
Simple Green works wonders on those white tops, I used it on my white top on my tracker it looked brand new
That's not good advice.. but who am I?

ocb_dave_ocb
10-28-2005, 04:02 AM
That's not good advice.. but who am I?

It worked quite well on my White Top on my Tracker, just be careful with it

blck87gtconv
10-28-2005, 04:04 AM
Well it really does depend on what the top is made of, now don't you think?

Simple Green isn't the best idea in general on a car you intend to keep for awhile.

Colossus20v
10-28-2005, 05:01 AM

Simple Green isn't the best idea in general on a car you intend to keep for awhile.
what do you suggest then jason? Ive never had experience with a convert top, so I'm not sure.

Sean
10-28-2005, 05:04 AM

What, do you want me to stroke your ego? Well, here we go. You ARE very intelligent, does that make you socially courteous, hell no!

Your thoughts are always appreciated, just dont turn people away from here when its not needed. They're other intelligent people in the world who know how to clean a car.

And yes, please do listen to my advice. Warm soapy water first, to goof off. If that doesnt work, get back to us.

And next time, ask us about your project first!

Woops, wrong thread.

As for your convertible top, I have absolutely no idea Joe hehe. Buy a new one?

blck87gtconv
10-28-2005, 05:40 AM
What, do you want me to stroke your ego? Well, here we go. You ARE very intelligent, does that make you socially courteous, hell no!

Your thoughts are always appreciated, just dont turn people away from here when its not needed. They're other intelligent people in the world who know how to clean a car.

And yes, please do listen to my advice. Warm soapy water first, to goof off. If that doesnt work, get back to us.

And next time, ask us about your project first!

Woops, wrong thread.

As for your convertible top, I have absolutely no idea Joe hehe. Buy a new one?
It has nothing to do with ego, but I have a hard time contributing to a site at which you feel the need to be an asshole because chemicals and paint don't mix, and I happen to tell the poor bastard that before he went and destroyed his paint.

At that point, I realized that my help was not only not appreciated, but flat-out not wanted. I don't remember saying anything offensive to you in almost a year. Chill tf out. You really need to. You're at least as much of an asshole as I remember you being.

Sean
10-28-2005, 05:45 AM
It has nothing to do with ego, but I have a hard time contributing to a site at which you feel the need to be an asshole because chemicals and paint don't mix, and I happen to tell the poor bastard that before he went and destroyed his paint.

At that point, I realized that my help was not only not appreciated, but flat-out not wanted. I don't remember saying anything offensive to you in almost a year. Chill tf out. You really need to. You're at least as much of an asshole as I remember you being.

Are you kidding me?

Lets see:
Your thoughts are always appreciated
You ARE very intelligent

What else do you want from me? We dont get along, and I'm still the better person for at least attempting to not piss you off. I dont care where or what you post, I dont lose sleep over it. I'm mused to see you pop up over here every now and then. You dont offend me, so dont take the pleasure of thinking that.

If chemicals and paint dont mix, please do not use ANYTHING on your paint. No wax, no rubbing compound, no bug and tar remover, no soap, no polishing compounds, absolutely nothing.

False statement you made.

Sean
10-28-2005, 05:48 AM
wrong site mang?- Jason

Your a bright kid, do you understand why this is not appreciated? Keep board wars out of our home. Its not like were hurting for members, but why can't Joe ask a question here? He's a big kid, cant he make his own decisions?

And yes, this is the legendary double post, woops :thefinger

blck87gtconv
11-06-2005, 10:46 AM
wrong site mang?- Jason

Your a bright kid, do you understand why this is not appreciated? Keep board wars out of our home. Its not like were hurting for members, but why can't Joe ask a question here? He's a big kid, cant he make his own decisions?

And yes, this is the legendary double post, woops :thefinger
Use your own brain for a second.

Joe knows I owned one of these cars. He also knows that I used to moderate this forum. He also knows that he'd get an UBER quick detailed response if he emailed me, IM'ed me, PM'ed me, or otherwise. I checked here and saw very little, if any, real help by the time I posted.

Does it make sense to ask people who don't have a clue or someone who's been there before? tough question, I know. take your time.

ocb_dave_ocb
11-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Use your own brain for a second.

Joe knows I owned one of these cars. He also knows that I used to moderate this forum. He also knows that he'd get an UBER quick detailed response if he emailed me, IM'ed me, PM'ed me, or otherwise. I checked here and saw very little, if any, real help by the time I posted.

Does it make sense to ask people who don't have a clue or someone who's been there before? tough question, I know. take your time.

Im sure that your comment is directed at me about my suggestion, all I was saying is that I had a Vert Tracker with a white top, I used the mean green on it and it looked brand new like I had just bought it..
=Dave

MoralWarfare
11-06-2005, 04:29 PM
-Jason, why wouldn't you suggest Simple Green on the vert top?

blck87gtconv
11-10-2005, 08:40 AM
-Jason, why wouldn't you suggest Simple Green on the vert top?
The same reason you wouldn't use it on your paint. You don't want to strip all moisture from the surface. It'll cause the top to become brittle over time and crack/tear more easily.

I've tried a ton of different things on the top, but Blue Magic makes a convertible top cleaner and conditioner that I've found works really well, and it'll actually help prolong the life of the top.

I've always tried using Tire cleaner/shine (all in one by Westley's) followed by a vinyl protectant (meguiar's NXT is great.. I wouldn't recommend armorall or prestone's stuff). I realize it's specified for interior use, but it'll work fine for a vinyl top.

Obviously, a canvas top will need different care. I have no idea what your top is made of, I can't really say for sure yet.