PDA

View Full Version : wing question

daklieb
10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Will the 3 peice spolier fit a narrow body hatch

Basic_Wonder
10-18-2005, 11:23 PM
I am pretty sure I have a 3 piece spoiler on my celi, I'll check when I go out to my car later .....

3sgte@daspeedof
10-18-2005, 11:41 PM
yes it will

daklieb
10-19-2005, 02:27 AM
were there different versions of the 3 peice?

VikingJZ
10-19-2005, 03:13 AM
Some of the ST's had a one piece spoiler. Most of the spoilers were the wrap around three piece.

PhillyDRFT
10-19-2005, 03:19 AM
i have the factory 1 piece on my hatch

cosmic_sombrero
10-19-2005, 03:21 AM
I'm pretty cure there were four spoiler versions.

The coupes (not sure about the GT coupes, but I'm assuming so) had the option of a one-piece raised spoiler

The GT hatches had an optional wedge spoiler or a three-piece spoiler for the narrow-body.

The GT-S and the Alltrac had the three-piece spoiler for the wide-body.

Now, I don't know if the narrow- and wide-body three-piece spoilers were any different. I'd have to go compare my GT-S with someone's GT, and I don't know any GT owners personally.

daklieb
10-19-2005, 04:32 AM
yea that what im worried about if the widebody 3 peice will fit my narrow body :/

xeril
10-19-2005, 09:03 AM
it should gangsta

locker
10-19-2005, 12:27 PM
There are some guys on this board that have the GTS wing on their narrow bodies. I believe that it is simply a touch longer that the GT versions. Looks stock once installed.... On that note I actually have a 3 peice from a GTS for sale

edit: just remember I was thinking of the way it looks on coupe's

Luis C
10-19-2005, 02:34 PM
My GT-i is narrow body and uses the same spoiler as the GT-S/GT4.
Only the fenders are wider on the GT4/GT-S but from the gas tank door and up they are all exactly the same.

daklieb
10-19-2005, 03:38 PM
thanks for the offer locker but i actually have one on its way... but it occured to me that it might not fit so i figuered i should ask as to not be disappointed when it arrived and didnt fit

locker
10-19-2005, 03:55 PM
nah.. you'll be good

caneman
10-19-2005, 04:09 PM
... I'd have to go compare my GT-S with someone's GT, and I don't know any GT owners personally.

We're really not that different from other Celica owners. Except, of course, that we know we're driving the epitome of Celica perfection. ;)

hundredyardback
10-19-2005, 04:12 PM
I hate my GT factory raised spoiler (one piece). It looks aftermarket and kind of crappy. Anyone have any good pics of a GT liftback with no spoiler?

daklieb
10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
get a 3 peice spoiler :)

caneman
10-19-2005, 05:03 PM
yea that what im worried about if the widebody 3 peice will fit my narrow body :/

I just fit a 3-piece on my '90 GT. The fitment, IMO, is a function of the width of the hatchback door itself, which is standard across all GEN5s. The center section ended up about one-half inch or less from the edge of the HB door on each side. The driver's side piece position was a product of the antenna, since it fits through a hole in the spoiler side piece. The passenger's side piece sould be positioned to match, of course.

Positioning the center piece is facilitated by the cutouts you'll see in the second layer of body sheet metal that are underneath the HB door. I centered the hole for the middle stud (the one behind the LED brake lights) in the center circle behind the HB latch (looking from rear of car) and used that to position the rest of them. I put a dot of paint on each stud and then, dropping the middle stud through the center hole, carefully lowered the center piece until the paint was transferred to the HB door's surface; thereby showing me where to drill the other holes. If positioned correctly, that'll put each drilled hole in the center of those cutouts visible underneath.

I used the same paint-drops technique to position the side pieces. Unfortunately, except for the antenna hole, which I stuck a round-handled brush through to center that side piece, you won't have any way to position the side pieces from inside, since their holes will be hidden.

Here you'll see the interior cutouts along the left edge of the photo. If you look closely, you can see the hole I drilled in the bottom cutout.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/3/7/4/100_0636.jpg
Here you can see the center cutout behind the HB latch mechanism. The drilled hole is visible just above the white wire in the center of the photo.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/3/7/4/100_0635.jpg
Here you can see the holes I drilled from the outside, I only had to "correct" a couple of them by filing/dremelling (sp?) them out a little. The yellow bondo spatula is placed over the old, one-piece spoiler's mounting holes to hide them and eliminate any confusion they might cause.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/3/7/4/100_0634.jpg
Same here.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/3/7/4/100_0631.jpg

BTW, drilling the eleven holes through the bodywork to match the mounting studs on the new spoiler was one of the most traumatic experiences I've ever had. Maybe now I'm ready to cut the hole in my roof for the new sunroof ... Err, maybe not (I just started hyperventilating).

GlHlOST
10-19-2005, 05:18 PM
My first GT was a liftback but it had no spoiler and it looked beautiful w/ or w/o it. My GT now is a coupe with the 3 piece and it looks O so pretty.

hundredyardback
10-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Too cheap to buy a 3pc. My preference is no spoiler. I've just never seen GOOD pics of a 5 gen GT without.

locker
10-19-2005, 05:53 PM
http://www.celispeed.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=31&pos=1

daklieb
10-19-2005, 06:54 PM
thanks caneman you rock dude... i might shoot you a couple questions when my spoiler gets here but that helped alot

daklieb
11-18-2005, 09:19 PM
update -----

got the spoiler and put it on.... it took about an hour/ hour and a half total

i really didnt think it was bad at all... and surprisingly drilling the holes wasnt as traumatic as people had said it was.... or maybe it is just because my car is completely primered right now so i really dont give a shit about the paint..

if anyone has any questions just lemme know

erick