PDA

View Full Version : Auto --> Manual Swap

Doctor Jinxed
10-15-2005, 11:39 PM
So I finally got my car back from the body shop, and I was driving back to my dormitory when I saw a salvage yard. Having nothing better to do with my time, I drove on in to go have a look.

The guy let me in to see if there was anything that interested me and I found a nice little imports section. I see some random Toyota and Honda sedans, a 240SX, A couple eclipses, and two Celicas.

One was a 90-91 GT-S and the other was a 94-98 GT. Looking in the GT-S I see that the system 10 speakers had already been pilfered (damn) and the door panels were fucked up. Guess someone wanted those woofers, but didn't care to take off the panels. Under the hoods I saw no aftermarket parts so that wasn't a go either.

<The Point> So I look at em again to see if there was anything I could use and I noticed that they were both sticks, and everything looked in nice working order.

I have an auto. My GT came with al the options and that's pretty much the one option I didn't want.

So I was wondering, what parts would I need to do the swap? And if I can get those parts, anyone in the Huntsville,TX / Houston, TX area with the skills willing to come help a poor kid whose mechanical knowledge is pretty much nill outside the realms of changing his car's oil?

Is this gonna be reeeeaaally hard and expensive? Or should I just go ahead and fix my sunroof first? And please, no one post just telling me to sell my girl and go buy a manual Celica. Aside from the fact that I love my car's color (and I've only seen like 3 of them in it's color), it's my first car and it has, like, $500,000 worth of sentimental value. :)
</the point>

Oh, and after looking at a GT-S up close for the first time ever, I gotta say, that widebody is sexy. :bowdown:

Dr Tweak
10-16-2005, 12:08 AM
It's pretty simple, but it's a lot easier to do at the same time as an engine swap. If you can do all the labor yourself it won't be bad. You'll need:

Clutch pedal assembly
Brake pedal
Shifter assembly and boot
Shifter cables
Tranny
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch lines
Clutch slave cylinder
Driver's side tranny mount
Flywheel
New clutch kit

And possibly a 5-speed ecu.

-Doc

Doctor Jinxed
10-16-2005, 12:16 AM
How much would be a nice price to weasel it for from the junkyard guy?

And I'm not gonna be doing an engine swap ultimately if the oportunity arrises. I'm pretty much a fanboy of what Pressure2 did to his 5S, so that's kind of the direction I'm lookign at.

Dr Tweak
10-16-2005, 12:18 AM
You should be able to get everything for about $500.

-Doc

Doctor Jinxed
10-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Only 500? Damn, that's beautiful. Now, if only I had the slightest ability to go ahead with the labor. In anycase, I need to go ahead and get a job again.

But the advice and help was great, thanks a bunch, Doc!

Dr Tweak
10-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Heh heh, heh heh, he called me Doc :)

DID YOU SEE THAT ALLTRACMAN??? IT'S "DOC"!!!

(Inside joke, don't mind me)...

Doctor Jinxed
10-16-2005, 01:10 AM
lol, of course I would. You're one of the people I respect the most on this site.

Somebody has some insane, crazy idea and you're just like, "Yah, it can be done, no prob." or something along those lines. :P

Dr Tweak
10-16-2005, 07:03 AM
lol, of course I would. You're one of the people I respect the most on this site.

Somebody has some insane, crazy idea and you're just like, "Yah, it can be done, no prob." or something along those lines. :P

BUAHHAA!!! Best description of Dr Tweak EVER! :) :bigthumbu :laugh:

zen
10-19-2005, 09:52 PM
just out of curiousity, what would the be the hardest part of doing this auto to manual swap?

Dr Tweak
10-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Drilling the holes in the firewall for the master cylinder is a major pain in the butt.

Then again, replacing the tranny is no small job either...

ummmx2
10-25-2005, 04:02 AM
the wiring was a mess..however i wasnt very up to par on the wires at all when i started the project. check out the guide on www.toyotacelicaonline.com and that should give you a general idea of whats involved.