PDA

View Full Version : hubcentric rings necessary?

fiveSFE
10-13-2005, 02:17 AM
i bought somee rims today and teh guy tried his hardest to get me to buy these and i told him ill pass, im running aftermarket rims of the same size right now and im not using them.

Luni
10-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Yeah dude, you need em, unless the rims were built for your car.

For like 10 or 20 bux, you should have bought them.

Do a google search for them and read about them.

When I say theyre necessary therye not life or death, but they can help remove stress from the inner hub, and also make sure everything lines up properly.

Lagos
10-13-2005, 04:10 AM
if u have aftermarket rims, then get them. they help you center the wheel on the hub and can get rid of steering wheel vibrations and other odd issues.

Luni
10-14-2005, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I will actually say they rock. Today I had them put on my wheels at discount tire today (I had it in for a tire balance, one of the wheels were bent, had it fixed, and wanted the tire rebalanced) and I had them put it in and before, it was WOBBLY AS FUCK, between 65 and 80 and after, smooth as butter. Im sure some of it was the tire balance, but they said the wheel balance wasnt off but like a quarter gram on the outside or some shit. But yeah, they did ALOT for me. I paid 15 for em. Worth every penny.

fiveSFE
10-14-2005, 03:04 AM
alright i think ill pick some up then when my rims get here.

G-man
10-14-2005, 03:36 AM
I agree with the concensus here and that you should get them. However, they don't "rock". They are necessary in some cases because the lug holes are sometimes not perfectly centered making the wheel wobble. If the lug holes are perfectly centered, you will notice no difference and they will not be necessary. If you don't use them, make sure you have a nice set of tuner lugs and tighten them gradually from one to another so that the wheel gets centered in the middle of each lug hole.

Luni
10-15-2005, 04:09 PM
It has nothing to do with the lug holes.

It has everything to do with the relationship of the inner rim to the hub.

Thats why theyre called HUBcentric rings.

G-man
10-15-2005, 07:50 PM

I know what they are. And whether you need them or not depends completely on the placement of the lug holes. The reason is that if you do not have Hubcentric rings, then the wheel will not be positioned on the hub by the center part that the ring would sit on. Instead, it will be positioned by the location of the lugs (this is sometimes called lugcentric). If you are running lugcentric, then the kind of lug nuts you have and how you tighten them are also a factor. Good tuner lugs nuts generally have a deep v shape where the nut seats into the lug hole. This provides a larger contact patch and, if tightened in turn gradually, serves to maintain the lug in the center of the lug hole and the back of the rim firmly against the hub. So, if your inside diameter of your wheel is bigger than the inner hub ring on the hub, you might be able to run without hub centric rings if:

(1) your lug holes are near perfectly centered on the wheel (in relation to each other);

(2) you have a good set of tuner lug nuts; and

(3) you tightened the lugs gradually from one to another.

Hope that clears up what I previously posted.

P.S. I am running a swapped celica at routinely high speeds without hub centric rings (because the ring I would need is not available) and have had no problems. I attribute that mostly to buying good wheels.

Luni
10-15-2005, 09:28 PM
I have good lugnuts that do the deep v and they go good on the rims. I use a torque wrench and I go in a zigzag pattern to tighten my shit. But when I put those hubcentrics on it seemed to have helped. But then again Im running cheap ass 16 inch Konigs too. Theyre not exactly the pinnacle of quality either.

Blackcloud
10-16-2005, 12:27 AM

:stupid:

get them dude

Blackcloud
10-16-2005, 04:29 AM
side note.. When I got the new wheels on my truck (which has hubcentric hubs) I did not get the rings. later on i noticed vibration in the steering from the wheel being slightly off. So i went back and got the correct parts and since then all has been golden

G-man
10-16-2005, 04:34 AM
For clarification, I agree that you should get hub centric rings if they are an option. They insure that the wheel is mounted properly and are well worth the $25 investment.

In my case, my wheels had a 56.1mm hole and the celica hub is 54.1mm. They do not make rings that are only 1mm thick (1mm on each side). My choice was to drill out the inner hole in the wheels and use a bigger ring, ghetto rig something like using electrical tape, have custom rings made that are REALLY THIN and EXPENSIVE, or run without rings. I was not going to risk drilling out the wheels because if the machinest is off even a fraction of a mm, the wheel is screwed. This also was an expensive option. Custom rings would have been over $200. That left me with a ghetto rig or no rings. I was prepared to go ghetto but I tried the wheels first to see how they would do. I got no vibration whatsoever even on spirited runs including hard cornering. As such, my advice is get the rings if they are available for a reasonable price. However, if they are not, you might be able to get away without using them.

Luni
10-17-2005, 07:13 AM
15 bux from discount tire.

Sean
10-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Interesting, maybe this will cure my steering wheel wobble.