PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Order?

Freeze
10-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Sometime in the next year I'm looking to basically redo the whole suspension on my car (the guy who had it before me cut the springs and it's bottoming out like no one's buisness). If I bought it a chunk at a time, how would everyone suggest I do it? I'm thinking new springs (Ground Control), struts, bushings, rear anti-roll bar, bump stops, and all that kind of thing. Is there any specific order I should get these in if I'm going to do it a little at a time? It would just be easier on the wallet right now (trying to pay lawyer fees for a ticket too) to do it a little bit at a time as opposed to all at once.

Luis C
10-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Depends on your finances and income. When short on money buy the bushings, bump stops and all rubber parts (try to replace them with polyurethane, they will last longer) which to my opinion are the cheapest parts. Then go for the shocks or struts, then the springs and last the anti-sway bars. Stock them up and install them in just one go.... unless of course any of the parts you are using right now decide to blow up or seize. (usually the shocks)

Freeze
10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Yeh, that's what I was thinking. 'Cause it'd be nice to see intintaneous improvement, but I figure if I put the bushing and such in, the old suspension will just wear it down before I could get the new struts and such in.

TEAMFaint
10-04-2005, 08:50 PM
I have all my basic suspension parts sitting in my room right now:

KYB Struts, Megan springs, KYB Spring Boots, Brake Rotors, Brake Pads.

You are talking about bump stops. What are these? Should I probably go abouts replacing mine? Might as well, I'm holding off the suspension install until the spring since my car will be garaged anyways in the winter. So I figure why not get a new swaybar/bushings/endlinks/whatever else I need. So what parts do you guys recommend for:
Bushings
Anti-Sway bars
Endlinks
Bumpstops

Please give me some links! Thanks muchly.

Freeze
10-04-2005, 08:54 PM
I believe bump stops are what is mounted at the end of the strut to stop it from bottoming out against metal, basically.

Galcobar
10-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Basically it's a hollow cylinder of rubber that sits on the piston rod and keeps the piston body from hitting either spring seat (front) or strut mount (rear) when you compress the suspension too much.

If you're going about rebuilding your suspension, do NOT neglect your strut mounts. these are what keep your suspension and car attached to each other in the correct angle. And being rubber bonded to metal, they wear our, separate and rust.

This pic was being used to illustrate the fact the Eibach springs for our cars are incorrectly marked -- you have to install them upside down compared to the markings. But it serves to show you the condition of the old strut mounts.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/Galcobar/P1060325-Web.jpg

There's a stickied thread in the brake and suspension forum with diagrams of suspension components -- worth a read.

alltracman78
10-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Freeze, if you want I can get you in the shop up here to do your suspension.
It'll be easier.

I'm a hour away.

Freeze
10-05-2005, 04:02 PM
That would be awesome man. It'll be a bit before I have the money if I wait to get *all* the parts, but that would be much appreciated.

alltracman78
10-05-2005, 04:09 PM
not a problem.
Do you still have my phone #?