PDA

View Full Version : 1zz tune up

Lagos
10-04-2005, 12:42 AM
we have a bone stock 03 matrix AWD as a daily driver in the family. the car is coming up on 30,000 miles, and i was wondering what type of tune up stuff do you guys normall do on your 1zz motors? how often to change the plugs? does the motor have a cap/rotor that need to be changed, or is it coil packs? anything else i should look into? i know my 3sgte like the back of my hand, but never bothered to even pop the hood on this one since im not the one normally driving it.

James D.
10-04-2005, 02:29 AM
I believe the spark plugs are good for 30K miles but if you want to change it, its fine, yes the 1zz uses coilpacks no need to worry about that, clean MAF sensor, change oil, tranny fluid since its all wheel drive but it still good for 30k, lubrication maybe, rotate tires

Lagos
10-04-2005, 02:41 AM
how do i go about cleaning the maf sensor? i could hear it making a ticking noise once the car was warmed up

Celicaguy13
10-04-2005, 07:01 AM
The maf sensor or MAFS is located on the intake, right past the filter box. Unscrew the 2 screws holding it down and pull it out.
You will want to use non residue, non-chloronated brake cleaner and a Q-tip. Just spray a little bit of brake cleaner on the Q-tip and gently clean the amber looking thing. It will probably be black on the Q-tip so clean it until its completely clean. It shouldn't take more then 2 Q-tips. Next, if you look inside one of the ducts of the maf sensor, you will notice two small wires in there. Those are actually the MAFS. Spray some brake cleaner in there but be careful because it will squirt right back at you because its looped. Let it dry, reinstal and your done!

dontmaytagme
10-10-2005, 03:20 AM
I changed my plugs at 90k. If you guys are recommending replacing them every 30k, then why?

Smaay
10-10-2005, 04:25 AM
no no no, you dont clean the amber thing....that is the air intake temperature sensor, the MAF sensor is actually up inside. and dont use a Q-tip there is a very fragile wire inside, just spray a butt load of break cleaner inside the sensor....and you dont need to change the plugs for 100,000 miles

Celicaguy13
10-10-2005, 08:25 AM
no no no, you dont clean the amber thing....that is the air intake temperature sensor, the MAF sensor is actually up inside. and dont use a Q-tip there is a very fragile wire inside, just spray a butt load of break cleaner inside the sensor....and you dont need to change the plugs for 100,000 miles

You can clean the amber thing, I got all my info off newcelica.org and did it and works fine. I didnt say to use Q-tips on the actuall maf sensor only on the amber because it's not as fragile. Of course you dont "need" to change the plugs every 100,000k miles but why not? Why wait until you actually need to when the plugs are dead? I think it's good to change your plugs at least every 20-30k miles and give your engine a good tune up as well to keep it running at optimal performance.

Smaay
10-10-2005, 07:45 PM
ill say it again, the little amber thing on the side of the MAF is the Intake Air Temperature sensor....IT has nothing to do with the MAF

Celicaguy13
10-11-2005, 06:47 AM
ill say it again, the little amber thing on the side of the MAF is the Intake Air Temperature sensor....IT has nothing to do with the MAF

Yes I know that, but it's still a good idea to clean it up for more accurate temprature readings.

Rix86
11-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Yes I know that, but it's still a good idea to clean it up for more accurate temprature readings.
exactly.
intake air temp is fairly important to how the extremely picky ecu's in the newer cars fuel the engine.
qtip on the sensor bulb (the amber thing) is fine if you are carefull.
the thing is coated in epoxy.
the hot wires up inside the sensor however, should not be touched. a good blast of brake cleaner will clean it fine. or alcohol. something that leaves no residue as stated above.
at 30k the coolant, trans and diff fluids, air filter, (pcv valve is optional but cheap) and depending on the year, the spark plugs.