PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with Celica to Supra interchangeability...

Disco Dan
09-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Ok so!

I recently acquired a 1983 Celica GT-S (http://discodan.org/gfx/celica/gt1.jpg). As many of you probably know, the Celica underwent a typical mid-generational change between 1983 and 1984. So the interior is different from the 84-85, and the exterior has slight differences as well (one of the most notable being that the front lights don't retract downwards like the 84-93 celicas, but actually recess backwards when turned off, so the headlights are always exposed).

Now, I've taken a look at some of the 84-85 Supras and I really like a lot of the ineterior amenities that the Supras have. However, I don't know if there's a huge difference in wiring or not, which is why I'm posting here.

I'd like to basically install as many of the cool interior "luxuries" that the Supra came with into the GT-S. For instance, the Auto A/C, the little rear console fan, etc. However, I've noticed that the wire harnesses seem to be very different for the two interiors.

So my question is this. Could I theoretically, strip down the interior of the celica, pull out the interior wiring harness, and swap in the interior wiring from a Supra of the same generation, and get everything to come back up properly? Has anyone done this? Do I even need to swap out the wire harnesses? It seems SO close to being doable, and yet just slightly different enough that it might prove impossible.

Any comments? Questions? Suggestions?

74celicagt
10-04-2005, 10:53 AM
anything is possible.

but to make sure it's all done correctly without problem, you'd practically need the donor car to be right next to your celica and swap things out side by side.

otherwise you'll be making a ton of trips to the junker to get something you missed previously.

but this type of question always ends up being new territory. You may find more help at celica gts.com

but if you go for it, you'll learn a ton about wiring and it'll probably piss you off but I think the added comforts will be worth it.

85gtsblackman
10-05-2005, 02:11 AM
celica-gts.com

celicasupra.com

celica83_gts
11-13-2005, 06:38 AM
Don't know about the a/c or console fan, but my '83 GTS took power windows, locks, and door panels from a Supra with no mods, just installing the parts and door harnesses and plugging them in to my existing harness.

buzzbomber
12-06-2005, 07:48 PM
on the 84/85 the cruise control was in a different location as well as the rear wiper, power mirrors, etc. it should all be swappable tho. visit www.celica-gts.com