PDA

View Full Version : first car

garrett137
09-29-2005, 02:24 AM
i like the older model celicas, im 15 but am going to purchase my first car soon, i like the 77 celicas because they have a muscle car kind of look to them and i dont want to have to drive around in a civic or "tuner car" like evryone else, just wondering how good these cars are as far as handling and power to weight ratio

GT4SOM
09-29-2005, 02:31 AM
Welcome to the boards! I don't know too much on how they handle but from what I've herd they are awsome cars with some suspension work. I love rwd. Your 15 and you've never owned a car. Chances are that you might get attached to it kinda like me and a couple of other members. 77 GT is a great choice. I would stick with a 22re in it. I'm sure a few owners will testify for the 1st gens. I would suggest getting one with minial rust. Make sure you get it on a lift to look under the body. Good Luck!

VikingJZ
09-29-2005, 03:37 AM
First gens rock. There's one for sale around here I want, but can't buy right now. It will probably still be there because it's in the middle of no where and I found it by accident. I'm attached at the hip with my 90 GT. I'm never getting rid of it. I never get tired of driving that car. It's a great car to have.

Trance4c
09-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Ya.. 1st gens are beautiful.. but its gunna be a lot of work on a car that old! Good luck!

74celicagt
09-30-2005, 08:30 AM
i like the older model celicas, im 15 but am going to purchase my first car soon, i like the 77 celicas because they have a muscle car kind of look to them ... just wondering how good these cars are as far as handling and power to weight ratio

handling is very good once you upgrade with some new aftermarket springs and shocks.

power to weight sucks stock.

where are you at? North America or Australia?

garrett137
09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
hey im frrom canada, i hate all these sport compact cars like civics and stuff and i want something differnt

74celicagt
10-04-2005, 10:57 AM
to do anything cool, you'll need money. realize that now. If you don't have money, skillz and the means to do work on a car, then you'll just be buying a cool looking old car with its share of issues.

with mine, it's been a love/hate relationship. working on cars pisses me off...LOL...but the old celica is fun to drive and easy on the eyes.

flyspyder55
10-04-2005, 11:11 PM
might i point you to classic-celica.com... stock.. it handles like ass and its slower that most conversion vans.... but we all love ours... you can put abotu 10000 diff motors in it :) like mine.... 20r to 22r to 20/22r hybrid to 7mgte

Rix86
11-01-2005, 03:55 AM
a newer one may be a better choice for a first car. something along the lines of an 83-85. not as pretty but more of them around.
most kids wreck their first car......... i wrecked my first couple... but not mainly minor stuff.
maybe buy a 77'ish later and save money to make it nicer.
springs and shocks can still be found, even if they are not specifically FOR the celica.
engine wise, between all the different 20/22r versions, you can make something pretty slick for cheap if you go the junkyards.
TRD camshafts for the 20/22r are around 110-150 bux... and if done right, you can get a very nice, streetable 20/22r hybrid engine, with exceptional power delivery, that will allow you to REALLY enjoy the old troglodyte celica.
and IMHO a slow celica still owns a fast civic!

KoreanJoey
11-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Rick, that's why you're such a cool guy... even if you did take down the Toyota flag.

Rix86
11-02-2005, 07:54 AM
I didn't "take" it down, the wind ripped the mount out of the pillar!!!!!
;-)

hobbie2k
11-02-2005, 09:40 AM
I owned a '79 LT2000 coupe with the 18r and a slushbox. It was slow, my current Accord Wagon could wipe the floor with it in a straight line, on the brakes, and in the corners, but it was still one of the most entertaining cars I've ever owned.

Be prepared to have to work on the car, and watch out for rust, especially in Canada. On the plus side, they are fairly simple cars, which makes them easy to work on. And the look great.

Plus, if you really like an import muscle car, a chevy small block isn't out of the question. Neither is any number of more advanced Toyota engines.

tomyc48
11-20-2005, 09:50 AM
yeah teh 77 celica w/ some new bushings and rear spings and shocks, this might sound strange to alot of people but i've done this to 3 of my celicas. grab soem spings off teh rear of a mustang gt (early 90's though like 98 or whatever it is) ya cut the small coil off the top to make it fit adn they slip right into place. matched up w/ some iroc z camaro shocks. add that to an upgraded swaybar and your golden in teh back end. as far as puttign a 22r into it... go for it!!! use a 20r head you'll get nice flow adn belive me it'll fly compared to teh stock 77 setup, very little trouble putting all together. it bolts right up real nice. a friend of mine has a 77 adn he put a 22rte in his w/ teh ct26 turobo from that 89 supra (again it bolts right up). it really impressive.