View Full Version : Rebuild yes or no?

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
12-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Okay guys, help me decide.

Rebuild my engine with forgies.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Elliott
12-19-2004, 01:35 PM
I cant remember anyone ever cracking a piston in a 3sgte.. are they really a weak point in the engine??

Appart from the HG and shimless bucket conversion, IMO its better to spend money on stuff that you will see benefit from below 500hp..

I could also be wrong...

Elliott

Cel3SGTE
12-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Don't waste your money unless your chasing huge power figures.

Go for a new turbo + intercooler first before you even consider touching the internals.

Classique71
12-20-2004, 01:35 AM
IMHO rebuild to safeguard for later power increases

Build it once - build it right - Its also a good selling point later on if you decide to part with the car .

Cel3SGTE
12-20-2004, 04:24 AM
Depends on how long you plan on keeping the car as well and the km's on the motor atm...

ROME
12-20-2004, 05:30 AM
If you plan on keeping the car for a long while. Then go the forgies. But only if you plan on boosting though the roof and chase the big kw's.
Ask yourself, are you happy with the limits your engine currently has? Do you think you might push past those limits in the near or even far future? Are the benefits going to be worth the money spent?

Just a few things that we can't answer for you...... (go the forgies) :D

Keyroo
12-20-2004, 05:48 AM
pfftt forgies,, unless ur trying to beat the 10sec quater mile barrier i woudl'nt worry about it man, metal headgasket nevergoes a stray but maybe i the engiens good wait until u have to take it out, just wait unitl ur clutch is screwed then do the whole lot, thats waht i did, if it aint broke don't fix it,,

carlosfandango
12-20-2004, 06:07 AM
metal head gasket, arp head studs, upgraded clutch. done.

but it depends how much boost you want to run and how many ponies you want smacking at yer ass.

so i voted internals to be safe.

Classique71
12-20-2004, 06:42 AM
" the mongrel " <-- long time keeper hence the extent of my engine build which is mucho above normal and still not " finished " ( just read the mods list )

Im chasing power .. its going to be used for racing to some extent , and tarmac rallying when the rules open up a bit more in the events i want to compete in.

I still have those forgies here lance - just need to know your bore sizes to see if all will be good ..

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
12-20-2004, 08:16 AM
In essence i would like 350awhp (200awkw). As a minimum, and more if i wanted.

But at the same time, i don't want to waste money. Seems the bottom end is plenty sturdy with the right tuning.

I just don't know, at a minimum, i'd like to put forged pistons in, and treated rods, and at most, get the crank kinfe edged, and forged rods.....

I jsut don't know :(

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
12-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Okay guys, after thinking about it, i've decided to go ahead with the rebuild.

Ill get the block chemically treated, rehoned, and measured, if the bores are still in good nick, then ill just use my stock pistons. And if they need new pistons, ill go with the forgies, seems fair enough?

Keep an eye out for the buildup thread :)

Classique71
12-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Sounds good to me !

Beej
12-26-2004, 04:19 AM
Sounds good to me !

:imwithstupid:

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
12-27-2004, 10:00 AM
well guys, its a good thing i decided to pull the engine down....

estimate on how long the bearings had left to go, i'd say 10-20 thou k. Nto good...

Check my build down thread, ill update it with more pictures tommorrow.

Keyroo
12-29-2004, 01:18 AM
sounds like my throw away bearing i can hear it when the clutch is engaged, funny thing is it only has a few thousand on it hehe, oh well, i'lll put a better one on when i get around t ofixing third gear

good luck wit hte rebuild mate

Matty :)