PDA

View Full Version : Nooo...The Car died again

Psyko
12-19-2004, 07:00 AM
So, today i started the celi and was driving around town. Well when i looked down i noticed the car was gettin hot again, i thought that it was fixed earlier. So, I stopped at the light and was just about to go when the car stalled in the intersection, Tried to start it and it wouldnt go, i dont know why. I looked at the dash and noticed that the needle was all the way on hot when i was trying to start the car. I felt the thermostat housing and it was not even hot enough to make me pull away from it. I just replaced it and have no idea what it could be, Is ti possible that there is air in the system, or some thing else. I am outta ideas, some one help me out soon, I need the car this week. Thanks alot guys.

Psyko
12-19-2004, 03:57 PM
quick update, went back this morning to get the car, start and drove fine,didnt overhert on the way home..I did try to get some of the air outt the system last night, im gonna look at it today

Hooligan
12-19-2004, 08:05 PM
If you could touch the thermostat housing and your engine was actually hot (no faulty temperature sender), the thermostat is probably not opening.

Mister2T
12-19-2004, 09:12 PM
If you could touch the thermostat housing and your engine was actually hot (no faulty temperature sender), the thermostat is probably not opening.
agree with hooligan..

Psyko
12-20-2004, 05:15 AM
Well, after much work again we put in another thermostat.. Well this one opens cause we tested it before we put it in. I have one ? for you guys, is the bottom hose on the radiator supposed to be hot beofre the cooling fan turns on. We let it idle today and it was fine, it stayed at half for about 5 min, then it slowly started to climb, i flet the bottom hose and it was cool to the touch, the fans were not kickin in. I pulled the connector to the sensor and the fan turned on and the temp went back dowm. I guess the question is should that bottom hose get hot before the fan turns on? I dunno if i am making it clear, lemme know if i am not

Thanks for all the help guys

Doc
12-21-2004, 01:09 AM
Well, after much work again we put in another thermostat.. Well this one opens cause we tested it before we put it in. I have one ? for you guys, is the bottom hose on the radiator supposed to be hot beofre the cooling fan turns on. We let it idle today and it was fine, it stayed at half for about 5 min, then it slowly started to climb, i flet the bottom hose and it was cool to the touch, the fans were not kickin in. I pulled the connector to the sensor and the fan turned on and the temp went back dowm. I guess the question is should that bottom hose get hot before the fan turns on? I dunno if i am making it clear, lemme know if i am not

Thanks for all the help guys

I believe the water pump actually pulls the coolent from the radiator, thus the bottom hose ought to be cooler if your radiator is doing its job.

check out the top hose if you want to feel the water temp coming from the engine. well, not the water itself... you know what I mean :P

Psyko
12-21-2004, 05:01 AM
Any chance that the timing could cause the car to run hot...We took of the distributor beofre all this happend and the problems happend after we put it back on. We mave have not lined it back up the the marks we made earlier..???This is really pissen me off

Doc
12-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Any chance that the timing could cause the car to run hot...We took of the distributor beofre all this happend and the problems happend after we put it back on. We mave have not lined it back up the the marks we made earlier..???This is really pissen me off

I believe so. My friends 92 gts was running hot and the motor had pretty much no power. Plus the exhaust was almost scalding.

Timing was at -3. Quick change to 10 and she's been great ever since.

Definatley something to check. Easy too.

Hooligan
12-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Yes...retarding the timing will definitely make the car run hotter. Ignition starts later and can still be occuring as the exhaust gas is blown out of the cylinder.

Psyko
12-23-2004, 04:19 AM
Well we discoverd the problem....And it was the last thing i wanted and the last thing i had expcted to go wrong......Its gotta be teh head, either gasket, or something else....So i get to rip the car apart over christmas break...Yay, just what i wanted to do

Hooligan
12-23-2004, 04:58 AM
How do you figure?

I don't think I would jump to that conclusion quite yet.

How new is the rest of the cooling system? Are you sure you have a proper mix of coolant? Did you run the car without the radiator cap on to get air out of the system? Have you checked your plugs for a lean condition ( lean = more heat )? Have you checked the coolant and oil for cross contamination? Does the car bur antifreeze or shoot white smoke?

Psyko
12-23-2004, 04:57 PM
oh yea, we did all that multiple times, trust me, i dont want it to be the head either, but there is no way around it ....It is,even two seperate mechanics said so after we concluded it

We tried the car with basically no thermostat in so it could circulte, as soon as i started to drive it overheated..Well Thats all she wrote, i at least hope that its not cracked, that would be bad.

GT4SOM
12-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Hmm that sucks man. Do you think it could be a clog in the system? Maybe if theres such thing like drain x u can use on cars? Taking off the head sucks. You got the 5sfe right? Good luck.

Psyko
12-24-2004, 03:13 AM
yea, its the 4afe, and no there is not block in the head. we mde sure of that