PDA

View Full Version : 5spd cavalier base VS auto GTS

AllOutRed90
09-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Ok so we talked it over, and its been rainy alot lately. we drove out to race.

lined up. did the 3 honk thing.

I revved it up to 2.5K with my foot on the brake. Let off. Pulled on him right away. No grip until i manually shifted into 2nd. By that time, he had been pullin on me, he pulled about a 3/4 of a car on me by the end of the race. after second gear i shifted into the drive gear, and flipped off the OD, (didnt help much, but thanks for the advice tommy :)) we have a mapped out 1/4 mile. thats what we use to race.

heres the description of how it was outside.

60 degrees... Rainy as hell.... no grip til second.

so in the end, we are gonna go back on dry day, since he got grip first that shows that he either A) has better tires (doubt it) or B) Has less torque (true) so i predict next time it will be me in the front at the end. :bowdown:

Tommy91GT
09-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Don't kick the OD off next time til it kicks you down.

AllOutRed90
09-26-2005, 02:25 AM
i dont understand what you mean? wait until im in 4th gear? or what

urban_legend
09-26-2005, 04:02 AM
dont even mess with the od....put it in low then 2nd and drive yourself....you determine when you shift then just figure out your shifting lag time i had an auto 5sfe and it kicked ass if you knew how to shift...

just leave od on and shift manually and you wont have to worry about pressing the od button and the lag time for it to shift in the 4th gear....

Murgatroy
09-26-2005, 03:21 PM
WTF kind of an idiot drag races in the rain? I mean come on now...

AllOutRed90
09-26-2005, 03:40 PM
it was for fun.

Murgatroy
09-26-2005, 03:48 PM
I can understand that, but not to harp on my point about the dangers of Street Racing, but trying to race in the rain where you are not getting traction is extremely dangerous. The odds of hydroplaning and whacking your opponents car is pretty high.

As for you OD button. Start the race with it off, start in first, shift to second, then smack it into 3rd, DO NOT turn OD on at any time in the race. You will need to learn not where your redline is, but where your powerband starts to slip in the higher RPMs, then when you shift (an auto does not require you to let off the gas, thus being more consistant keeps the revs up, excellent for N2O and FI) the revs will drop, but still remain in your powerband. Contrary to popular belief, that does not alway occur at Redline.

And yes, I just realized that I made a post to you without being an ass Whyte. I think I might be sick. :hehe:

Snafu
09-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Haven't we already been over this guys... leave this shit to PM.

Good story. People should really carry digital cameras everywhere they go.

AllOutRed90
09-27-2005, 04:32 AM
sorry guys, my digicam stays at home in a case lol.... as for the race... im supposed to leave off the OD... you know chances are i wont get to the end of the 1/4 mile in 4th anyways, thats a smart idea. i know the power band ends aroun 6k doesnt it? and am i supposed to let off the gas. hes trying to get me to do a dry run.... but i think i may wait a bit.

ummmx2
09-27-2005, 07:56 AM
starts to lose power at about 5200-5400 i believe..at least thats when i can start to feel it take a dive

roman
09-27-2005, 08:58 AM
What year is the Cavalier? My Miata is in the shop now and I have a 2004 base model Cavalier for a rental (automatic). This car feels really peppy! I remember driving a 2000 Cavalier several years ago and it was the worst driving experience ever. The car was gutless. Not sure what changed with the 2004 models (don't really follow up on Cavaliers ;)) but it feels way faster.

AllOutRed90
09-27-2005, 01:50 PM
nope, i think its a 2000, the newer ones have the ecotech which are supposed to have 160 HP, but hwo knows, the old ones are rated at 115 hP.... but manual to auto.... it makes a big diff in a race.

roman
09-30-2005, 06:20 AM
I don't care how much difference it makes. I drove my '90 GT-S auto back in the day when I had the misfortune of driving thta Cavalier. I hated every minute of it.

Azzazzyn
10-02-2005, 01:31 AM
I don't know about all the auto hate whyte, I kept with a ustang gt in my auto till bout 45 mph which is when i shift to drive, and he just was gone, I think he was fuckign with me, but who knows, i know my car is good at higher speeds though, so I'd be better on rolls.

Slider
10-02-2005, 02:21 AM
Automatics and 4 cylinder engines are just not meant to be.

partyball
10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Mustang GTS will smoke a Celica off the line but high speeds it is harder for them to pull away. Me and my cousin go for "drives" all the time.