PDA

View Full Version : Anyone w/ the same problem? ... Too Big ! (wheels)

okc_celica
09-24-2005, 04:40 AM
1991 Celica GT-S
Bought a set of Enkei NT03+M Wheels <gold finish> (http://www.enkei.com/RacingSeriesSpecs/NTO3+M.html)
17x8 - 48mm offset - 72.6 bore dia.
Front wheels are perfect, but rear rubs even w/1" spacer
Can't figure out where the rub is coming from.
I don't really get it when people talk about offset, but I can visualize a set of deep dish wheels for the rear with the wide fenders.
WTF can I do to fix this, and I assume the rub will get worse when I put some Sportlines on because of camber..

Gary
09-24-2005, 05:01 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101
Obviously, with that high offset and very wide wheel, the wheel will sit further inside and cause the rubbing between inner wall and strut housing. Stock GTS wheels are 6.5" and only 39 mm offset. If you choose wider wheels, the offset need to be lower.
Solution,
1) thicker spacers (bad idea) or
2) Narrower tires (might not fix the problem) or
3) new wheels

Slider
09-24-2005, 05:50 AM
The rear would rub on the strut without a spacer, with a 1" spacer you should be fine. What size tires are your running?

Gary
09-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Front wheels are perfect, but rear rubs even w/1" spacer
^^^

Slider
09-24-2005, 06:13 AM
I'm running 17x7 +45mm offset. And I have ~1cm clearance from the rear strut. Him with 17x8 +48mm would have 1.6cm clearance less than me for the strut, meaning it would rub the strut, but with a 1" inch spacer I don't see how it can possibly be rubbing against the strut.

okc_celica
09-24-2005, 06:48 AM
THNKS. GUYS
Heres my only advice. Don't order wheels from treaddepot.com - They sent me the wheels assuring me of proper fitment without any spacers.(w/o the spacer, the wheels are pinned to the rear shocks and when you put your car in reverse to back out - your car doesn't move) and when over half of the lugs they send you are a different thread width and you don't realize that until you need to take the rear wheels off so you can put the stock wheels on to move your car, you're screwed because the lugs are almost frozen to the stud. So there the car sets - can't move it - no spacers - lugs frozen to the studs - spacers, lugs and studs all on backorder. This is exactly why I don't dare apply for a gun license.

Wheels and Tires $1350
20 New Studs $55
12 New Lugs $12
Wheel Spacers $185
Shop Bill $120
Pure Skull Splitting Anger PRICELESS !

Galcobar
09-24-2005, 11:21 AM
For a really good diagram and offset calculator...
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Any chance you can provide pics? From what I can calculate, any issues with rubbing on the struts should be solved by the spacers, assuming the wheels are then not rubbing on the fenders.

What size are your tires?

As for your planned lowering springs, camber can be corrected with a, oddly enough, set of camber correction bolts. Tirerack.com and other reputable tire and wheel sellers will have them. They basically replace a strut-to-axle carrier bolt so you can adjust camber.