PDA

View Full Version : swaped celica on 16psi

gt2celica18
09-20-2005, 03:06 PM
OK guys I have had my celica about 5 years now (1992 GTS) and I decieded to do the 3sgte swap about a year ago. I just recently got the time to go to the drag strip to see what it has. I was thinking it would be at least in the mid to high 13 range but my best time was a 14.5 WTF. Anyway Im pushing 16psi on a stock TMIC and stock fuel injectores and I also used the tranny from the 5sfe, now I know that it isnt going to be crazy fast with all that stuff stock but I thought I could at least hit high 13s. Whats going on????

gt2celica18
09-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Oh here is the link of pics of the car and us putting in the motor.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/700687/1

ChrisD
09-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Not out of the normal. Consider a stock alltrac runs 15.6. It takes a fair bit of work to get down into the 13's. Also, on a FWD, it takes one hell of a launch.

Good time none the less! What was your MPH?

Lagos
09-20-2005, 04:12 PM
not to mention that the top mount ic is the worst thing in the world.

most swaps run 14s at the track on the stock turbo because of the traction loss and the fact that the ct26 is only realy good for 15psi. if you upgrade the turbo and ic youll see a lot better results.

dont feel bad about the numbers tho...im pretty sure that from a roll, we can smoke a lot of awd cars that run better numbers then us at the track.

gt2celica18
09-20-2005, 04:21 PM

most swaps run 14s at the track on the stock turbo because of the traction loss and the fact that the ct26 is only realy good for 15psi. if you upgrade the turbo and ic youll see a lot better results.

dont feel bad about the numbers tho...im pretty sure that from a roll, we can smoke a lot of awd cars that run better numbers then us at the track.

Yea, I beat a stock STi from about a 50 roll and I started off behind him, thats why I thought I would have a better 1/4 mile time.

Trance4c
09-20-2005, 05:26 PM
I've run a 13.6 here in gainesville in the middle of winter, unbelievable weather.. perfect conditions. I as well ran 16psi, but launch is key. I see a lot of people have trouble with driving this setup infact, even with a stock S53 open-differential I can get an even launch. Its very important to practice and your suspension and tires must be up to doing it too. The car as a whole plays a lot into making a BPU 3S-GTE setup turn into the 13's. It can be done, but FWD is definately not for the 1/4 track.

gt2celica18
09-20-2005, 08:14 PM
I've run a 13.6 here in gainesville in the middle of winter, unbelievable weather.. perfect conditions. I as well ran 16psi, but launch is key. I see a lot of people have trouble with driving this setup infact, even with a stock S53 open-differential I can get an even launch. Its very important to practice and your suspension and tires must be up to doing it too. The car as a whole plays a lot into making a BPU 3S-GTE setup turn into the 13's. It can be done, but FWD is definately not for the 1/4 track.

how long have you used your tranny with the 3sgte? Does it shift smooth, just asking because my 2nd gear is grinding a little bit and I know when I did the research on doing the swap everyone said that they didnt think it would hold with the horse power of the 3sgte.

Trance4c
09-21-2005, 05:55 PM
how long have you used your tranny with the 3sgte? Does it shift smooth, just asking because my 2nd gear is grinding a little bit and I know when I did the research on doing the swap everyone said that they didnt think it would hold with the horse power of the 3sgte.

I've broken one tranny.. so that should tell you how my luck has gone.

undecided
10-21-2005, 05:21 AM
about the whole track thing. i know what u guys mean. my 240 has no weight in the rear (everything in rear stripped) :hehe: and even though it has an lsd it still usually doesnt get good launches, only wheel spin. when i race from a roll i can easily beat the wrx's and 350z's but from a stop i can barely beat my friends 350, at least i think i can beat him. i think celicas with the fwd are more of from a roll racers along with the 240.

Justin
11-03-2005, 06:35 AM
im pretty sure that from a roll, we can smoke a lot of awd cars that run better numbers then us at the track.

Yea AWD cars that run quicker ET's will have lower MPH in the big end and that shows on a race from a roll.

I'm interested in the 60' and the MPH of this run.

Sean
11-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Yeah, at what MPH?

Your 60 foot and MPH are going to tell the story, what were they?

Get some drag radials man, you'll be in the 13's with no problem!

BlueDragon
11-04-2005, 11:27 PM
damn someone get this guy into 13s or all the v-tech guys will dog him... ya right who cares... maybe drags arent your dig, maybe FWD sucks for drags, bottom line you got a bad ass swapped celi that will smoke most cars without them knowing what hit them.
Big ups to you keep practicing your launch if you really care about 1/4 mile, otherwise i suggest autocross, celicas handle like the shizzle.

Playfortoday
11-08-2005, 05:22 AM

I hope you meant the stock tmic, because my ARC tmic is sexy...
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/IMG_1120.jpg
and with water injection I will never outgrow it for my goals.

GRUMPY514
11-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Yea my car in the 1/4 isnt good at all but will smash many many cars from a roll even a 20mph roll it will roll on a lot of cars. Cant wait just orderd a ct27 want to swap it in my celi and see what results i get :P Where did you geh your TMIC play? what is it off of and how much?

Playfortoday
11-09-2005, 04:03 AM
I got it off of Justen w/ the v8 turbo celica in OZ. Not made anymore and a steal at 175USD. :woot: I see them used in rough condition for 400-500, yay!

alltracman78
11-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Damn dude, that is one hell of a steal.
I see where you got the Grp A stuff too. :D
Too bad it's not a RC ecu.

If I didn't have my ST205 ic, I would be jealous. :P

Playfortoday
11-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Excuse me, my GRP-A ecu with kicketh the asses of all RC ecu's. 35HP just by plugging it in. :) after 10 hours of wiring

gt2celica18
11-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Well I got an intercooler but I need someone that can weld and hook it up for me, I already tried and failed. I know if I had slicks I could hit 13s but I want to do it with street tires.

4DMR2t
12-13-2005, 02:53 AM
Best of luck getting into the 13's with that setup.

To put it into perspective, a stock MR2 turbo runs about a 14.7, and that's with RWD, and assuming you have a perfect launch with ideal conditions.

It took me many a tries at the drag strip to get used to launching my car, and it took me a 15psi, and an exhaust to get into the 13's with a 1.89 60' time. On Khumo MX tires mind you.

My advice: Keep practicing your launch on the street tires. Upgrading to drag radials this soon is only gonna hide your mistakes a little, but won't improve your skills that much. Perfect your launch with street tires, then when you jump up to drag radials, it will make that much more of a difference.

Good luck! :bigthumbu

KoreanJoey
12-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Excuse me, my GRP-A ecu with kicketh the asses of all RC ecu's. 35HP just by plugging it in. :) after 10 hours of wiring

Screw that... Eric on alltrac.net came to our dyno day and picked up a Mine's ECU for a 3rd Gen 3SGTE.

Playfortoday
12-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Screw that... Eric on alltrac.net came to our dyno day and picked up a Mine's ECU for a 3rd Gen 3SGTE.

Que?

A Mine's compared to a GRP-A is hardly comparing apple to apples.

Mister2T
12-14-2005, 01:10 AM
i wish i had the time for a swap, nice car.

AznKlique
12-17-2005, 07:36 AM
i wish i had the time for a swap, nice car.
i wish i had time, money, and skills to do a swap. :(