View Full Version : Project Fuel Tank Drop - Step-by-Step How-To

12-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Operation Fuel Drop: Remove Tank

Well today started the day i would really get cracking into fixing all the little niggling problems i have had with the car since day 1. And the first and obvious one is the Fuel Tank Leak. So this morning i went about removing the tank. Step by Step.

1) Disconnect battery for atleast 30seconds before working.

2) Locate Service Hole

3) Remove Service Hole

4) Remove Fillerpipe Protector

5) Fuel Line which need to be disconnected

6) Fuel Inlet - I was going to remove it, but i couldn't get the door opener removed

7) Remove bolts from Inlet - This was a pain, since a few are in hard to get places. As for the torque, all the bolts were screwdriver tight.

8) Unplug the lines

9) Support the tank - Important since you don't want the tank to just fall out

10) Unbolt Fastners - Again these were tight, but spanner tight

11) Remove the Tank - the moment we ahve all be waiting for

12) Tank is out!

12-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Glory Shots
Fueltank - What fueltank?

There it is!

Now to find that fuel leak.

The little bastard!

The reason to why i have to drop the tank in the first place.

So in that case, it wasn't a leaky gasket, so for me to drop this tank off to get fixed ill have to remove everything.

All the internal stuff removed:

And some close up shots of each part:
Evap Pipe : http://ugbox.net/~lance/GT4/Repair/Fuel%20Tank/Out/evappipe.JPG
Pump: http://ugbox.net/~lance/GT4/Repair/Fuel%20Tank/Out/pump1.JPG
Sender: http://ugbox.net/~lance/GT4/Repair/Fuel%20Tank/Out/sender.JPG

And finally, i had to cover up the fuel filler neck, to stop the dust and stuff getting into it.

And a shot of inside the tank

And thats it, took me approximately 2 hours to do, because i was taking my time. On the difficuilty scale, i found it relatively easy. I did have about 2 litres of fuel in the tank, which i poured out. I was also surprised to find rocks in the bottom of the tank. I did have one small mishap where i have accidently bent the return line out of shape, but it is easily bent back.

And thats it for now.

12-18-2004, 08:40 AM
I just went and cleaned the tank up, firstly i topped the tank full of water, and washed the outside of it.

More detailed shots of the damage

12-18-2004, 08:40 AM
The new gaskets, and the gasket goo (fuel resistant)

And the Repaired Tank. Not bad for $33 bucks.

The guys at the shop lost the little rubber pad, so ill have to bang up a new one, and glue it on. Apart from that im ready to put the tank in, just have to clean up the holes.

I've also sourced a SupraTT pump. Now i have to find a FPR so i can correct the fuel pressure. Or hopefully the FCon can trim the fueling a bit.

12-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Once the sun went down, and i couldn't fiddle with the battery and the intake anymore, i decided to prep the tank. I firstly cleaned it out of all the debris.

I decided to only mount the EVaporator pipe and the Sender controller, as i am waiting for my new pump. More on that later.

First you have to clean up the holes, this shot shows the cleaned up hole, and the other isn't clean (its kinda obvious, but the more silver one is the cleaned up one)

I thought i took a shot of the gaskets and the gasket goo, but my camera didn't take it :(

And this is with the parts installed. Now for the torque, i guessed, a) because i don't have a torque wrench, and b) its a phillips head screw bolt only. So i did it up hand tight. And will nip it up again when i work on them again.

After all that, i decided to pull the pump apart a) to clean it b) to upgrade the pump

Remove the bottom from the bracket

Unbolt everything

And the pump dissambled. I didn't really go into depth on how to pull it part, as it is quite trivial.

But alas, i tried to clean the fuel filter out, but its clogged up, so ill purchase another one from toyota, along with this tiny tiny clip.

12-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Nice man. You always have the greatest writeups ever. Congrats.

01-17-2005, 08:40 AM
NICE WRITEUP, but i noticed that u can use some new busshings on your sway bar, and that was a perfect oportunity to get some bigger fuel pump (like walbro 255) in it.

btw. i have done that also and it is very simple job, if u have any sense for using a scredriwer and a wrench.

01-17-2005, 10:17 AM

Yes i know my sway bar bushes are a bit sad, but im saving up for a little while. for the whiteline kit.

As for the fuel pump, the original plan was to reaplce it with a Supra pump, but i got the JDM pump isntead, which isn't a direct fit.

It doesn't matter, if i need fueling upgrades, im going to go with a surge tank instead. Shoudl be plenty (and better ) for my power goals.

01-18-2005, 04:26 AM
looking good, great write up, its sooo easy to change the fuel pump on these 5th gens, i think it took me all of 5 minutes...nice tank repair...never seen that done...

01-18-2005, 07:40 PM
great write up! definitely sticky material

02-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Very Good Detailed Write Up Keep Up The Good Work In The Future